Canada Got a question with a long story

greg334

Veteran Expediter
The other day I pickup a load to go to Ontario from Michigan, I was the second driver on the run, the first had van problems. The first problem I had was the bill of lading was sent to the broker with his name, van number, license number with the usual port of entry place and ETA and the PARS sticker. Already faced with big delays at the warehouse with Canadian customs in the past due to the broker and not having a fax machine available anywhere in the area – I asked a dispatcher to call the broker to make sure that they got the paper work and that it is alright the way it is, which they said yes to both. So I wasn’t as apprehensive as I could have been so I went on my way. I did fill out an A8A form just in case.

So I get to the bridge and as soon as I make my turn I get stopped by DHS officers, three of them. They said they were doing spot checks and I am the first this morning. I asked what they want me to do (sit there and don’t move was the response) and gave them the keys per their ‘request’. They went through the van front to back, underneath, through my boxes even look at the top of the van. They went through the paper work and then asked me a couple questions about my canned food, of all the things. The lady officer who I kept saying ‘yes sir’ to all her questions (guess I was nervous) told me to expect more thorough inspections of commercial vehicles as staffing ramps up for both inbound and outbound traffic– then sent me on my way. I knew I was due for this but this added to my apprehension expecting another warehouse trip.

Well I got to Canadian customers and explain what I was doing and what happen. The Customs officer scanned the paper work, looked at me, shook his head, stamped the paper work and said see ya. No problems what so ever with Canadian customs.

On my return trip they were spot checking trucks in line waiting to go through customs. The one in front of me was searched front to back including under the hood.

So after all of this boring story, my question is this;

What purpose does the placing specific information like the ETA, PoE, truck identification on the bill of lading serve? Let me clarify a little – is the purpose for customs or the broker to set up the clearance?

Also any suggestions on what we should do in a spot check situation?

Thanks,

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The ETA would just be so they can have it done in time, provided you're giving them enough time. PARS are done for the Port of entry you will be using. If you use a different one the PARS will fail. As far as truck ID, I don't know why they want that. I know of freight being transfered to a different company and that guy using the PARS set up by the company that picked up the freight. As far as starting an A8A just in case the PARS fails, don't bother. If the PARS fails, you will go to the broker and make out an A8A using the PARS number.

bryan

Veteran Expediter
HI

I got stopped in one of those type inspections. They turned me into my company for not having all my doors locked.They only had to warn me once.