Gordie Howe suffers serious stroke

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I've never been into hockey other than when Gordie Howe played for the Aeros. I wish him well.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I've never been into hockey other than when Gordie Howe played for the Aeros. I wish him well.

Around these parts there were two local figures that were fixtures, Ernie Harwell and Gordie Howe. Ernie has moved on. Gordie is fading.

My favorite memory of Gordie has nothing to do with hockey.

My Dad took us to Walled Lake Amusement Park for a "Toys for Tots" event. The place was packed and we found the last open picnic tables open and "claimed" one for the day. There were 3 or 4 placed end to end.

A few minutes later another man, family in tow, came up and asked if we would mind if they say with us. It was Gordie and his family.

WELL!

I about had a kitten to say the least. I was 7 or 8 at the time and a HUGH Red Wings fan, Gordie was my "hockey hero".

We spent the entire day with the Howe family. This was the 1950's and people acted much different than they do today. People did come over to great Gordie, BUT, they were polite and there were no "mobs" pushing and shoving for autographs. It was an amazing day.

On the way home, my Mother, who was never a sports fan, came up with the "remark of the decade". She commented to my Dad, "That Gordie was a nice man, but he must have a really dangerous job to have so many scares on his face".

One of my favorite life memories.

Reactions: Ragman

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm sorry to hear that. I still hope he does well and recovers fully. Most of all I hope he doesn't suffer.