GoPro Hero 3

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I am in WAY over my head and this little gadget is kicking my behind.

We figured out how to make a video and now I need to upload the video to You Tube so that someone else can get the video and edit it.

I am using a Mac and I have downloaded GoPro Studio.

I have the video in the Studio and converted it to a You Tube Format but I can not figure out how to condense the video.

When I try to upload it says it will take two hours.

My head is exploding trying to figure out what I need to do to make this work.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
What format is the video? How large is the filesize?

If it's in an uncompressed AVI format, and is like 2 GB, yeah, it'll take a while to upload. Well, 2 GB would take several hours, depending on your Internet connection.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Looking at the file 826.9 mb but there is a way to compress the file for uploading and that is what I need help with.

Hoping someone else has done this?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Would be helpful to know the format of the video, but generally speaking, if you encode the video as an MP4 in High Profile H.246, it will give you the best compromise between quality and file size.

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am in WAY over my head and this little gadget is kicking my behind.

We figured out how to make a video and now I need to upload the video to You Tube so that someone else can get the video and edit it.

I am using a Mac and I have downloaded GoPro Studio.

I have the video in the Studio and converted it to a You Tube Format but I can not figure out how to condense the video.

My head is exploding trying to figure out what I need to do to make this work.

Have you try to call GoPro technical support? They might be able to walk you thru the steps.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
In this situation I am afraid I will not have a clue what they are talking about. The funny part is that all I want to do is upload 8 clips lets then 8 minutes long to a private file on You Tube so that someone else can grab the files and create a complete video.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The size of the video is directly related to the length of the video (minutes and seconds), the amount of compression (mainly the number and frequency of keyframes), and the resolution of the video (pixels, dimensions). The process is straightforward - you export the video from your video editor by choosing the video format and the compression. You will not turn a 800 MB file into a 20 MB file without losing a significant amount of quality or size or length time.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Raw, uncompressed HD video runs about 6 gigs per minute, so for 8 minutes it's in the 50 GB range. With the GoPro you are already working with compressed video, as it compresses the video as it record it, to the h.264 codec and the MP4 file type. So, 800 MB for 8 minutes sounds about right.

If you export it to for YouTube from the GoPro software, it'll export it for average quality with a video bitrate of 8mbps. That should give you a file size of about 350-400 MB for 8 minutes, for HD video 1080p.

WanderngFool

Active Expediter
In this situation I am afraid I will not have a clue what they are talking about. The funny part is that all I want to do is upload 8 clips lets then 8 minutes long to a private file on You Tube so that someone else can grab the files and create a complete video.

I think you're looking for a silver bullet that doesn't exist in this case. Sure you can zip up a spreadsheet or a data file and make it smaller, but video formats are already compressed. I mean, that's the whole point of the format - a means to deliver video in a compressed format with acceptable quality.

When faced with this kind of situation I try to make it the last thing I do at the end of the day and if it takes all night, that's fine. Upload speeds are faster at night anyway.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I will try again to upload the file since I did save it in the You Tube format. Thanks for all the tips I appreciate it.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I'd call tech support.
If they're good, they should even be able to explain it to me.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I have the video, I have the video in Go Pro Studio and then uploaded to YouTube an 8 minute video took 1.5 hours and so what I have to figure out is how to compress this file.

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
Interested in a fix as well, Aydan has a helmet cam when he does tricks but I can't do a **** thing with the media in my Mac. Windows no problem. Sux cuz he is really good at Flatland BMX. Really Good.