Google Data Compression, Save on Data Use ?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It's pretty straightforward. And it's been in the Opera Mini Browser for years (now found in the "off road mode" in its Opera's Blink based browser for Android). In order to compress the data send to the mobile device, Google is forwarding all HTTP traffic and DNS lookups to a SPDY proxy run by Google, which sends its data back to the device over an SSL connection. Only HTTP traffic is routed through and optimised by the proxy, so secure (HTTPS) requests will bypass the proxy and continue to connect directly to the destination. Google's proxy will return pages with gzip compression and convert all images to WebP, which requires fewer bytes than JPEG or PNG. The proxy also performs intelligent compression and minification of HTML, JavaScript, and CSS resources, which removes unnecessary white space, comments, and other metadata which are not essential to render the page.

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
Yeah all them tech terms LOL, I think the last sentence in your post , was the only one that I even remotely understood.

Opera mini browser ? Any advantage to using it ?

By the way , Thanks

jimmy

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yeah all them tech terms LOL, I think the last sentence in your post , was the only one that I even remotely understood.
Sorry about that. Basically what happens is, when you talk to a Web site, you don't talk to it directly. Your communication TO that Web site is intercepted by a Google proxy server. It then passes your communication on to the Web site, and when the Web site responds (like sending you the Web page you want to view) it sends that data to Google, who then compresses the data and then sends it on to you. If the Web page you want to view is 4 MBs in size, Google can compress it down to (theoretically) 2 MB. So what you get is 2 MB of data rather than 4 MB of data, thereby saving you bandwidth. Some Web sites won't be compressed that much, others will be compressed more than that.

Opera mini browser ? Any advantage to using it ?
It's really all about what you like, what your preferences are. All browsers have their pros and cons, their little features. Out of all of them, I still prefer Dolphin, mainly because it works seamlessly with LastPass.

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
Sorry about that. Basically what happens is, when you talk to a Web site, you don't talk to it directly. Your communication TO that Web site is intercepted by a Google proxy server. It then passes your communication on to the Web site, and when the Web site responds (like sending you the Web page you want to view) it sends that data to Google, who then compresses the data and then sends it on to you. If the Web page you want to view is 4 MBs in size, Google can compress it down to (theoretically) 2 MB. So what you get is 2 MB of data rather than 4 MB of data, thereby saving you bandwidth. Some Web sites won't be compressed that much, others will be compressed more than that.

It's really all about what you like, what your preferences are. All browsers have their pros and cons, their little features. Out of all of them, I still prefer Dolphin, mainly because it works seamlessly with LastPass.

Thanks again.

jimmy