Good use of tax money

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I read this article and wonder how I can make money sighting things that are extinct too.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060720/ap_on_sc/ivory_billed_woodpecker

My point is the cost of $264K a month that we have to pay because someone may have spotted an extinct bird without anyone else seeing it. I truly think that the Kayaker who spotted the bird has cashed in some how.

The judge must be on drugs when he says; "When an endangered species is allegedly jeopardized, the balance of hardships and public interest tips in favor of the protected species. Here there is evidence" that the ivory-billed woodpecker may be jeopardized, he said.

What evidence? An alleged sighting that has yet to be confirmed.

Remember judge that the last sighting of this bird was in 1944 and even if we give that bird a parrots life span, there would have to be a lot more birds to keep the species alive.

This makes me wonder two things;

Is it possible that we can report seeing other extinct animals (a raptor comes to mind) and have projects stopped like the rebuilding of N.O. to ensure that if they do make a come back their habitat is avalible to them.

Where would the endangered speices laws come in effect here? I mean the bird is actually considered extinct so you would figure that they would be moved from endangered list to maybe the gone list?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Does make you wonder?

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Are judges drug tested if there is reasonable suspicion? I think this would qualify. Just when you think it could'nt get any stranger...