Good morning Everyone,

EYDJ

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hello Road Warriors, Just started the beginning phase of browsing & researching the Independent Courier world. Brief bio about me, I’m a 26 year FedEx Express courier with 22 years of safe-driving everything from Straight Truck, Sprinter & Cargo vans.
I’m not too far from 56 years old. I’m considering retiring & becoming an IC. I am aware of health insurance costs, but changing over to my wife’s plan will be no problem. Basically I’ve had enough of working for ‘the man.’ I’m interested in staying relatively local. I’m an hour from Memphis, 4.5 from St Loius, 8 from Chicago, 4 from Nashville & 8 from Atlanta. I’m considering either a Sprinter or Van. I’ve watched way too much youtube already...lol.

Have a great day & drive defensively!

Last edited:

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Step 1 .. Forget all the "Hoopla " you've seen on " YoYo Tube " .
A. The Sprinter/Van market has been and is currently Over Saturated in Numbers and Low Rate idiots running loads for way less than 80 cents a loaded miles and nothing for driving Dead Head/Empty miles . A lot of people are desperate and running loads for 60 to 70 cents a loaded mile . If your goal is to Have $50,000. in the Bank by the end of the year then you need to start with $100,000. in the Bank .
B. Reread A.
C. Reread A.

EYDJ

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
A. The Sprinter/Van market has been and is currently Over Saturated in Numbers and Low Rate idiots running loads for way less than 80 cents a loaded miles and nothing for driving Dead Head/Empty miles . A lot of people are desperate and running loads for 60 to 70 cents a loaded mile . If your goal is to Have $50,000. in the Bank by the end of the year then you need to start with $100,000. in the Bank .
B. Reread A.
C. Reread A.

Great advice! I’m not looking to get rich. Just want to try and get some local, semi-local runs to offset pension and stay busy.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
B. Reread A.
C. Reread A.

Great advice! I’m not looking to get rich. Just want to try and get some local, semi-local runs to offset pension and stay busy.
Check out same day delivery services.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Talk to the folks at Expediter Services in Southaven MS., a few miles south of Memphis. They can help you get into a straight truck learn the expedite business and line you up with a co-driver. A great place to get a start with minimal expense to you. As an FXX driver, you probably saw a lot of FedEx Custom Critical / Logistics, and other expedite carrier cargo vans on the move in the greater Memphis area. Don't mistake moving vehicles for loaded or under-dispatch vehicles. A simple cost/benefit analysis will soon show you that financial bliss is not generally available to newly minted cargo van owners and particularly for their drivers. Not convinced? Ask a cargo van fleet owner how much you could earn per year and under what conditions of employment. Then ask for a written guarantee of that much money if you satisfy his pre-specified condition.

EYDJ

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Talk to the folks at Expediter Services in Southaven MS., a few miles south of Memphis. They can help you get into a straight truck learn the expedite business and line you up with a co-driver. A great place to get a start with minimal expense to you. As an FXX driver, you probably saw a lot of FedEx Custom Critical / Logistics, and other expedite carrier cargo vans on the move in the greater Memphis area. Don't mistake moving vehicles for loaded or under-dispatch vehicles. A simple cost/benefit analysis will soon show you that financial bliss is not generally available to newly minted cargo van owners and particularly for their drivers. Not convinced? Ask a cargo van fleet owner how much you could earn per year and under what conditions of employment. Then ask for a written guarantee of that much money if you satisfy his pre-specified condition.
I appreciate the advice! I’m not looking to team up though. I drove a straight run with FedEx Express for 7 years. Loved the truck. I’m really looking into working solo and contract work. I am aware that the more restrictions that I put on my availability the less work I will find.