Going from B unit into straight?

Pro3500

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Currently have a promaster van. Thinking about buying a straight truck. Anyone made the jump from cargo van to straight? Wondering the thoughts on it. Is it just jumping from the pan into the fire? Same thing only different? Good move? not a good move? Thoughts? Ive talked with some straights on the road and it seems like a good move. But I also understand sometimes people over toot their own horns.

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I jumped from a big rig to a cargo van. And for sure I'll never go back up there...

Reactions: Moot

TDave

Expert Expediter
I never drove a van but when reading on here I always hear the question "Is anybody else slow?" Nine times out of ten they drive a van. There are disadvantages for being regulated but keep your nose clean your fine.

Reactions: Turtle

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Currently have a promaster van. Thinking about buying a straight truck. Anyone made the jump from cargo van to straight? Wondering the thoughts on it. Is it just jumping from the pan into the fire? Same thing only different? Good move? not a good move? Thoughts? Ive talked with some straights on the road and it seems like a good move. But I also understand sometimes people over toot their own horns.

Ask the Crystal Ball Yes or No Questions, Get Answers!

Ask at your own risk.

Lol.....

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Nick and Jenny also made the jump. They're are others.

You'll definitely have more load opportunities in a straight truck, as there are more straight truck loads out there and less competition for those loads.

Reactions: JohnMueller

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
HighwayStar has done it. Hopefully he'll chime in.
So has Cheri. Both went from tractor/trailer to cargo van to straight truck. They both worked hard to reach the pinnacle of the expedite hierarchy, cargo van ownership! Both, after achieving that lofty goal, took a huge step backward by going into straight trucks. Why? I don't know. I tried to intervene but neither would listen to me.

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So has Cheri. Both went from tractor/trailer to cargo van to straight truck. They both worked hard to reach the pinnacle of the expedite hierarchy, cargo van ownership! Both, after achieving that lofty goal, took a huge step backward by going into straight trucks. Why? I don't know. I tried to intervene but neither would listen to me.

Agree with Moot.
And, it ain't Steve Harvey's post either. Lol....

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

Maybe if you hadn't convinced me before that you raise chinchillas, lol. Yes, I was gullible, but my daughter has 2 chins, it could have been true:oops: And also too, isn't that an honest face? HAHAHAHA

So, Pro, you wouldn't be the first. The aggravation factor is higher, what with HOS, elogs, DOT inspections, but there are many perks, too, like never having to sacrifice your bed for an extra pallet of freight, and having enough room to be comfortable for months on end, if that's what you want. Definitely more work, if that's what you want - and that's the bottom line: what you want.

Reactions: Moot

Pro3500

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Maybe if you hadn't convinced me before that you raise chinchillas, lol. Yes, I was gullible, but my daughter has 2 chins, it could have been true:oops: And also too, isn't that an honest face? HAHAHAHA

So, Pro, you wouldn't be the first. The aggravation factor is higher, what with HOS, elogs, DOT inspections, but there are many perks, too, like never having to sacrifice your bed for an extra pallet of freight, and having enough room to be comfortable for months on end, if that's what you want. Definitely more work, if that's what you want - and that's the bottom line: what you want.
Thanks for the reply Cheri, I drove big truck for almost 18 years. I stopped driving big truck almost 20 years ago. Was an owner operator before fuel charges came in lol. (Dated) When I owned my second truck fuel went over a $1.40 a gallon and we got a fuel surcharge added on. The first truck I owned fuel was around .68 cents a gallon. I'm a dinosaur lol. The logs and other stuff I'm good with it's the money end of it I'm concerned with. I don't want to make a lateral move. Up my income and spending at the same percentage (or worse). Having the same thing but different. I've talked with a couple of straights within the company I lease with now and they seem to think I would not regret it. Being a solo driver in a straight concerns me the most. (good advice from Moot) More work, better profit is what I'm after. As TDave said most of the starving seems to come from vans. Thanks for the input guys.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Since you've already talked to Moot, you know the advice he has is as good as it gets [long as it doesn't concern chinchillas, ;)]. He drives a van because it works for the way he wants to work, not because it's the only thing he can drive, or is willing to put the effort into making work. Those who fit the latter description jump into vans every day, and why not? It's easy. It's also a quick start way to make money, and many who can't find a job really need that. So many that there are far more vans than loads for them, much of the time.
I'm sure you've heard that teams are the gold standard, but here's the thing:: they don't want to run the shorter [<500 mile] loads, but those loads need covered too, which makes solo drivers necessary in expedite. You probably won't get rich, but there's no reason to starve, either. Just avoid the carriers who cater to teams, and you'll do fine. :)

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
I went from a 2001 western star to van, been at it for 12 years in van it is great
in 12 years only been 6 days there was no freight
right now doesn't count out for knee
hopeful it will be busy to the end in 16 months to retirement
only thing I miss the most is the sleeper