Going back to my old job

Michael Kennedy

Rookie Expediter
Driver
If I don't get another load by the end of the day today I am going back to my old job. This 25 year old kid bought his 1st box truck and hired me as his driver. Granted this is his 1st truck and he thinks we will make all this money. I was supposed to start last Monday. My first load wasn't until Wednesday. I did a run to Wisconsin and then Minnesota back. Did two 10 hours days and made $165.00 average each day. I was like ok not bad so I get back to Michigan took one day off on Friday. Now sitting here waiting to leave home. Luckily I have not quit my other job yet and just took some time off but I am not going to leave a steady $580-$600 a week job to go starve and sleep at some truck stop. I was not expecting boat loads of money working in expediting because I am a realist but at least $35k a year. It is just not happening. These recruiters promise you the sun and the moon and that's why I never quit my regular job because I never trusted them.

Last edited:

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Good experience.
If you have to find a job in the future, you understand the OTR option alittle better.

Last edited:

Michael Kennedy

Rookie Expediter
Driver
Yeah screw it man. I will probably just stick with my auto parts delivery business for another year. As an independent contractor doing $600 a week after all expenses working 45-47 hours a week is the same as someone making $37,000 a year at an office job. I figure if I do auto parts another year I can get in with fed ex ground and do local deliveries for $40-42k. This otr thing is just not consistent. I am so glad I just took a brief vacation to do a few runs for the experience and only lost $100 in pay during the process.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Expediting is % a lifestyle. If you think it’s not for you, best to recognize it now.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Reactions: Transit

Michael Kennedy

Rookie Expediter
Driver
Believe me the lifestyle I can handle but just the potential ups and downs with income I think would be to brutal for me. I have the savings but even the potential for money to be drained from the back account concerns me. I know e everyone says "oh just save your money when things are good" well if my 1st week is bad and I have a secure job waiting for me when I come back then of course I have enough common sense to be like ok.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Well, not just for you but for anyone reading this, expediting is a career. Plumbing is a career. Mechanics is a career. Paralegal is a career. You don't just decide to buy a wrench and a plunger and suddenly you're a plumber. You don't buy pliers and screwdrivers and suddenly you're a mechanic. You don't buy a Black's Law Dictionary and suddenly you're a paralegal. You study and learn and become educated and after many many MANY hours or education you are then a paralegal or whatever.

So, anyone considering expediting should read back a MINIMUM or 3 years worth of posts in the General, Newbies and Recruiter forums here on EO. Not every single word but absolutely every single thread title for AT LEAST 3 years. Every thread that sounds remotely educational and remotely might apply to their situation should be read. Every single word of those. Yes, there will be lots of chaff but there's also a lot of wheat in there.

3 years. MINIMUM. Then you may know enough about what an expediting CAREER actually is to understand how much you don't know but to also know whether it is something you want to pursue further or not. Waiting for loads is one of the major topics that will be covered in there. And there's a lot of it, the waiting. And tons of other things to know and consider.

You don't just pick up the keys to a vehicle and suddenly you're an expediter. Also, expediting, the type of work addressed here on EO, is not at all the same as any sort of hurried local delivery done in a situation where one goes home at the end of the day every day. They may call that "expedited", and it may be urgent hurry up for whatever reason, but it isn't "expediting" as done in this career.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I know e everyone says "oh just save your money when things are good"
Don't forget the other thing people say, "If you want to make a million dollars in trucking, start off with 2 million!"

And don't dismiss the biggest benefit of OTR expediting - you get to see America... at night.

Reactions: Moot and RoadTime

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Don't forget the other thing people say, "If you want to make a million dollars in trucking, start off with 2 million!"

And don't dismiss the biggest benefit of OTR expediting - you get to see America... at night.

Both statements 110% true!
Delivered to the International school bus plant in Tulsa this morning. Fourth time there, first time by daylight. Never knew Tulsa Airport was right next door

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Michael Kennedy

Rookie Expediter
Driver
Geese the kid came by to drop off the ramps. He said they are working on a load for me now but he said the same thing yesterday. . Nice kid though but I did not want to tell him I quit yet because he is a nice guy. If they get some miracle load last minute then maybe I will roll with it but my other job is expecting me back tomorrow and I am still stuck with this truck.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You should have told him and gave him his truck. So he can start looking for a driver.
If they get a load tonight, are you going and quitting the auto parts run ?
That means you’re taking the OTR because of tonight’s run, even though you’ve decided it’s a bad deal for you ?

Looks like someone looses a driver without notice....

Last edited:

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You want it to work.
If they get you a load and you don’t take it, that sucks for them.
The sooner you tell everyone, the better it is for everyone.
Unless you’re not sure, and you let tonight’s Load make up your mind .
Then you just have to live with what you get.

Michael Kennedy

Rookie Expediter
Driver
I want it to work but they are trying to bid my truck like a regular box truck at a higher rate then a sprinter but the mpg is the same. They need to realize I need to pay bills man. They need to bid low to get me out of Michigan and keep me on the road. No one makes money just sitting around twiddling thumbs.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
They have a Cost Per Mile they can't go below when bidding, too. Otherwise, you may make your 30-35 cents a mile, but they lose money. THey have to account for not only fuel, but wear and tear, maintenance, insurance, etc .

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't think you are ready for expediting. You should consider going back to your stable job for at least several more months while you study and get your degree in expediting. Read my post again, if you read it before.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The metro Detroit area is a tough area to get loads out of because everybody and their brother has a Sprinter.
If you can't get a Load out of Michigan.. What are you going to do after sitting 2 weeks waiting for a Load out of Laredo..?

Remember to Smile ..
it reduces Stress ..

Reactions: RoadTime