Going around Chicago

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
OK so I know how to bypass some of the worst choke points in NYC, DC and my beloved Philly, but I've never been to Chicago. What are good routes to avoid Cgo if I don't need to go into the city? Answers for going to Wisconsin/Minnesota would be appreciated as well as going west. Thanks! :)

zorry

Veteran Expediter
80 to 294 is quick. Tolled but ez pass works.
Listen to 760 am radio.
Sometimes taking 90 over the Skyway and through the middle flows very well. I ran local for 8 years and there is no rhyme or reason to traffic through Chicago.
Some stay on 80 over to 39 and up but thats close to 40 miles additional.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Going west to Iowa,just stay on 80 and you skirt the bottom of the city. Generally no issues.
80 in Oh and In is tolled. Il has one small toll.

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
I've run up through there quite a bit going both west and north, and agree with Zorry. 294 around town to go north to Milwaukee and sometimes right through town works well, and going east/west on 80 keeps you south and out of the city altogether.

For all it's size, I've never really had a terrible time going through Chicago. Lots of traffic, yeah, but usually plenty of lanes to do it in, and it always seems to be moving fairly well outside of the typical slowdowns of morning and evening rush hours. That's when trying to get into or out of downtown can get slow.

If you're using to running the eastern cities you should be fine.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I live here.

If you don't have to go through the city, don't. 294 is usually fairly quick. It's toll, but not unreasonable as Illinois tollways go.

When I pick up at a Northern suburb and have a run to Battle Creek, Michigan, Garmin will invariably try to route through the Loop and down to the Skyway. A slower, more expensive route could not exist, so I avoid that at all costs. Taking 90/94 through the Loop gets you into some of the heaviest traffic Chicago has to offer, and the Skyway-- Interstate 90 going into Indiana-- is so unbelievably expensive that it's in a class by itself. It's $5.00 just to get from the Dan Ryan to Portage, Indiana. I can drive from Beloit, Wisconsin all the way down to the Loop on 94 for less money than that. Now, these are 4-wheeler rates, just so's you know. Using I-Pass.

If I'm a bit farther West, needing to go from North to South or the other way, I-355 can be a good bet. It's a bit more expensive, but it is reasonably fast.

There is no non-tollway that doesn't take you through the heart of Chicago, and most can be a horror show during rush hours. Interstate 55 is probably the worst, it takes forever to go a relatively short distance. After that, 290 and 90/94 jocky for position as roads to steer clear of. There's no good non-tollway, I'm afraid.

Note: When I'm coming back from Michigan, Garmin always tries to choose the Skyway, the Dan Ryan and 290 as the route. I always over-ride it and use 294. The Skyway is expensive, and nobody sane uses the Circle interchange if he can help it. You'll be there FOREVER!!!!

Last edited:

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
There's no good non-tollway, I'm afraid.
83 isn't bad. And the tollroads are way, way better than they were before open road tolling. Remember stopping for the cash boxes every few miles, & the frequent backups because of them? That was insane.

Last edited:

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
All good advice.

Trucks have to be careful if leaving the interstate near the city. A lot of unmapped low clearances.

eb

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
RAIN/SNOW if either of these is happening prepare for accidents and idiots...Ive been back and thru and used all of the above routes and depending on time of day, weather, rush hours, sporting events or etc...check the radio, 760 am or sat radio traffic channel, Tolls etc is gonna take time, your never going to skirt the city and make GOOD time, unless its early AM hours such as 1-5 am, Ive driven right thru a couple times most Ive sat in traffic, but it usually moves along, lane jumpers, rude and incompetent drivers abound so if youve driven in NYC youll be right at home.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
RAIN/SNOW if either of these is happening prepare for accidents and idiots...Ive been back and thru and used all of the above routes and depending on time of day, weather, rush hours, sporting events or etc...check the radio, 760 am or sat radio traffic channel, Tolls etc is gonna take time, your never going to skirt the city and make GOOD time, unless its early AM hours such as 1-5 am, Ive driven right thru a couple times most Ive sat in traffic, but it usually moves along, lane jumpers, rude and incompetent drivers abound so if youve driven in NYC youll be right at home.

I go through there usually 2 times a week and I'm not sure what everyone is worried about. I find it easier than Louisville all day long.

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
Radio reports out of Chicago say to "expect significant delays today, Thurs 04.18, in all modes of transportation around the area". Due to flooding, I believe.

Was big enough news I heard it on national news while in Louisiana.