GOAT posts .....

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you have a favorite of your own or another member, let's see it ....

Here's one from Blizzard circa 9/2011 ...

There are only three ways to make good money in a cargo van. Here they are!

1. Go to work for Landstar.

2. Go to work for Load 1

3. Start your own company and get your own freight!

RedBird

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
If you have a favorite of your own or another member, let's see it ....

Here's one from Blizzard circa 9/2011 ...

There are only three ways to make good money in a cargo van. Here they are!

1. Go to work for Landstar.

2. Go to work for Load 1

3. Start your own company and get your own freight!

I chose “Curtain #3!”

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I remember somebody called a member “a skinny armed pencil pushing geek.”

Although I’m not into personal attacks, I’ve wondered if that was the “kick sand in his face moment” that drove that member to leave Expediting and go into the gym business.

The post must have been deleted. I’ve looked for it, just curious to see who wrote it.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Many years ago ATeam posted this about practicing to be prepared for unforseen emergencies. Like most of ATeam's posts it was well written and contained very good advice or thoughts that would help anyone be a better more educated expediter. But..... this style of writing also opened itself up to a bit of ridicule now and then.... and in this case Moot took full advantage and produced what I think is the best post ever on EO. Enjoy.

ATeam said: ↑
I believe it would serve expediters very well to develop their own set of reaction drills, like:

-React to sudden illness while on the road
-React to an accident where you are seriously injured
-React to a crisis at home that requires your immediate return
-React to a truck breakdown in a remote area
-React to an accident where you are not injured but others are.
-React to a HAZMAT spill
-React to a truck breakdown in an unsafe neighborhood
-React to a tornado warning sounded at your location.
-React to a steer tire blowout that occurs at highway speeds.

There are many more scenarios. These are enough to get the idea across.

To which Moot replied......

Excellent list Ateam! Be prepared! Setting up and practicing reaction drills not only can save lives but it is also fun.

Many years ago a coworker, Wilhelm Mehoff ( his parents called him Willy, his friends called him Jack) and I wanted to test our reaction to a blown steer tire. We drove a tractor/trailer loaded with pulp logs to a remote granite spall dump about 30 miles from St. Cloud, MN. I remember that cold, sunny Wednesday morning in early February very well. Jack drove. I sat in the passenger seat holding my Carcano M91/38 bolt action short barrel rifle with scope between my legs. The same type rifle Lee Harvey Oswald used in Dallas so many years before.

The dump site offered the perfect place to test our steer tire blowout drill. There was a long, fairly straight dirt road leading in that ran in front of a 30 foot high granite heap. For the next couple of hours we practiced for the real drill. Jack drove the truck with me perched on my granite knoll snipers nest. We timed each run and had all of the details worked out so that when I pulled the trigger for real, Jack and the truck would be just entering a point where the road turned to the left.

Feeling confident with our plan, we broke for lunch. About 12:45 Jack drove the truck out to the main road, turned around and came highballing into the dump site. As he passed the granite knoll I squeezed off one round. Direct hit! The left front steer tire blew. Jack wrestled with the steering wheel trying desperately to maintain control of the truck. The truck pulled hard to the left hitting a small pile of granite rubble and tearing open a fuel tank. Then it careened to the right hitting another pile of granite ripping off the right steer tire and finally coming to rest.

I ran as fast as I could to the wreckage. As I got closer I could smell and then see the leaking diesel fuel. Jack was hunched over the steering wheeling with severe head trauma. What luck! Not only were we able to practice the blown steer tire drill, but now I had a broken down truck, an accident victim, and a Hazmat spill all in a remote area.

I quickly assessed the situation. Priority numeral uno (Spanish for number 1, no not peepee that's another thread) was to contain the fuel spill and protect the environment. I removed my trousers and using my bootlaces tied off each leg at the cuff. I then filled my pants with loose granite chips and frozen clods of dirt and snow. I did the same with my socks. The end result was a home made spill containment kit. It worked perfectly.

Having saved the environment I gave the truck a cursory examine. My gut instinct was that the truck was toast. My mechanical training and experience confirmed that. As I climbed up into the cab to render aid to Jack it happened. A tornado siren went off. Early February, in Minnesota? What the .... The shrill siren startled me. I lost my footing and fell backwards hitting my head on a granite chunk. I was dazed and possibly suffered a mild concussion. But I remember thinking more good luck. I am now hurt and a tornado is nearby. This will cover 6 of the 9 reaction drills. I had forgotten that it was the first Wednesday of the month and it was now 1:00 p.m. There really was no tornado.

Jack, Jack, I had to help Jack. I got up and staggered toward the truck. Once more I climbed the cab to where Jack sat motionless and bleeding. It was too late. Jack had succumbed to a nasty head injury. He hadn't been wearing a seatbelt so that he would be injured allowing me to practice the accident with injuries reaction drill. Bless his soul!

I got Jack's remains into a body bag I had left over from my school bus driving days and began the long hike out to the main highway. At the highway I stuck out my thumb trying to flag down a ride. People were reluctant to pick us up. Me in my underwear and the Carcano slung over my shoulder and Jack half in the bag. (the bag being grade school/middle school size) Together Jack and I hoofed it into civilization. I found a pay phone and immediately called the E.P.A. to report the fuel spill. I then called home to say I would be late for dinner. That's when my wife broke the awful news. My daughter's hamster had died. Family emergency. I wanted to, no I NEEDED to get home and comfort her.

My next phone call was to a cab company. Soon Jack and I were safe and warm in the back of a cab. I had the driver drop Jack off at a mortuary and we continued on toward the apartment I shared with my family. More good fortune. The cab broke down in an unsafe neighborhood inhabited by college students. The streets were littered with broken beer bottles and empty tapper cups. But I was able to make it home. Havening completed 8 of the 9 reaction drills.

Whenever I hear "Warren Commission", "grassy knoll" or "Dallas" I am reminded of the 3 Jacks; Kennedy, Ruby and Mehoff and of that glorious day in early February.

Please take care and practice, practice practice!

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just add Frances Dormand and voila! Fargo 2

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Sooo....
After years of inciteful banter, we only reference three memorable posts ?
And only four rate Moot’s Masterpiece ?

Think people, think !

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I remember somebody called a member “a skinny armed pencil pushing geek.”

Although I’m not into personal attacks, I’ve wondered if that was the “kick sand in his face moment” that drove that member to leave Expediting and go into the gym business.

The post must have been deleted. I’ve looked for it, just curious to see who wrote it.
It wasn't me.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Like most of ATeam's posts it was well written and contained very good advice or thoughts that would help anyone be a better more educated expediter. But..... this style of writing also opened itself up to a bit of ridicule now and then.... and in this case Moot took full advantage and produced what I think is the best post ever on EO. Enjoy.
I couldn't help myself. I need a Jake Brake for my brain.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thank you Piper for digging that one up and giving it a GOAT nomination. I had fun writing that one.

Reactions: piper1

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
So, in the Media Wing of the Expediters Hall of Fame the Top five media contributions go to :
1) Moot
2) Blizzard
3) unknown
4)
5)

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not for a single post.....but, Ragman should get some kind of trophy for his lightning fast and funny picture posts. They show a great wit and perhaps something slightly askew that went undiagnosed as a child.