GMC W4500 overheating

redheck2017

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Hi all. I'm in some serious need of some help. I picked up a 2007 GMC W4500 boxtruck (Deisel) and having an overheating problem. When driving the needle goes back and forth from about half to overheating. When its around half if I turn the heat on it works for a bit then starts getting colder. At the same time that it is getting colder the needle is rising. I can turn the heat off and the needle will lower. Regardless the needle at some point will continue up to over heat. When it does get top overheating I am also losing power. Thanks and any help will be greatly appreciated. As an FYI I did change out both thermostats. And I also noticed that the reservoir has the same fluid that was always in there and has not changed.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
You may need to get the coolant system flushed...just do it close to home because it could be a plugged leak waiting to be found.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
One of 3 things need to be looked at
1 coolant system
2 oil system
3 cabin heater
If you smell hot coolant in the cab you have a leak in the coolant system and it can be in the cab heater. Keep and eye on your coolant lvl as if it gets too low you can hurt your engine.

redheck2017

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Thank you. Do you know why the overflow stays the same? Nothing ever goes into it and with the needle all the way up I would figure pressure would push something in there.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Thank you. Do you know why the overflow stays the same? Nothing ever goes into it and with the needle all the way up I would figure pressure would push something in there.
Make sure the reservoir is even hooked up.
I've seen schisterz disconnect it from the system in an attempt to hide a problem.