GMC and Chevy Vans

Jack

Expert Expediter
My 2000 GMC Savanna van, 3500 extended, 5.7 gas, has 250K miles. I replaced fuel pump at 140K, tires at 216K, brakes, rotors, exhaust at 250K. Any input on time for another fuel pump? If 1st failed at 140K, will replacement last as long, longer, or is there no rule of thumb? Transmission life? Engine life? Other things? I guess I can't complain so far. I imagine the Chevy Express has the same history as the GMC Savanna? Your input is appreciated.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Jack,

We have discussed this topic at length here at EO. It's almost like GM has set a timer on their pumps to shut down - it all starts around 140K - 150K, then REPEATS again around 280K - 300K.

This problem with bad pumps in GM vans is as common as potholes in Detroit.:7 :7

Thanks,
Lawrence
Expediters Online.com

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hi Guys!
I was told by a GM rep. that if you can refuel at 1/4 and not let it go beloe that point, you can extend the life of the fuel pump. He told me one of the biggest problems with the pump is air getting into them once it goes below 1/4. Again this was told to me from a GM rep. I don't drive the Chevy or the Gm, so I can't tell you from experience. Hope things work out!!!!

marmon01

Expert Expediter
10-4 on keeping the tank as full as possible. The greater submergence depth also reduces the load on the fuel pump.

Jack

Expert Expediter
Thanks, drivers, for your feedback. As to fuel pump, looks like that particular one just fails when it hits a mileage range....I often drove with fuel below 1/4 full, trying to find cheaper gas. I also drove tires at 70 psi and got 216K and only rotated them three times. Maybe I was just lucky, maybe cost of rotating tires isn't justified. I'll try keeping gas gauge above 1/4 and see what happens. Any predictions on engine life and tranny life??

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
The 5.7 is a great long-life engine. With poper care, it will probably outlive the frame and body.;-)

Lawrence
Expediters Online.com