give to me straight can it be done w/out going crazy

shaw8999

Seasoned Expediter
I've been driving with my husband as a team in acargo van. We are looking to upgrade to a straight truck. I dont have my class B yet. So is it possible to get your class b without going back to school? Is it really that nerve racking to do? You Panther wifes as team drivers is this a good move? More Loads? Better Money? just give it to me tell how it really is?:confused::eek:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Yes it can be done but.... the problem I find with some is passing the test is the easy thing, the driving is the hard thing. I have taught a few to do proper pretrips and proper post trips, some didn't even know how to check tire pressures or oil.

By the way the hardest thing to the practical test is the pre-trip.

I would recommend going to Smith System for some ideas on how to be safe.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I've been driving with my husband as a team in acargo van. We are looking to upgrade to a straight truck. I dont have my class B yet. So is it possible to get your class b without going back to school? Is it really that nerve racking to do?

Yes it is possible to get your Class B without going back to school, and no, it is not nerve racking to do.

Diane and I both self-trained to get our Class B licenses and endorsements (HAZMAT, Air Brakes). It took a little bit of study. The free CDL manual from our state department of driver services (or some such name) was our only text. We also made use of free online practice tests.

We rented a large U-Haul truck and practiced driving it for a day in a school parking lot. On a Saturday when no one was around, we took turns driving and spotting. We had walkie-talkies. The spotter simply kept an eye out for any traffic that might enter the large lot. The driver practiced turning, backing, parking, etc. We then rented a truck with air brakes with which to take the road test.

Both of us passed the written exams and road test on the first try. Being already in the business, you will have it easier than we did with no trucking experience whatsoever. Air brakes and HAZMAT placards were totally foreign concepts to us at the time.

MissKat

Expert Expediter
The rental truck idea is wonderful! All new Class A Motorhome drivers should have such a plan!

Brubet

Seasoned Expediter
ATeam - Did you have an owner already lined up to drive for when you took the CDL tests? How did you find this owner, who you first drove for?

Angil82

Seasoned Expediter
It's not nerve-wracking at all. I learned how to drive on an old Brigadier dump truck. It had the air brakes, and it had the longer dump body on it, so it worked, and that is what I took my test in. lol. I also used the free tests that are available on the website. So, buckle down, and study study study! and then when you are comfortable with that move on to the renting a truck, etc and practice your PTI.

gotta go

Veteran Expediter
The reference department of your local library most likely has CDL study guides with video available. That was how I got mine.
For practicing serpentine backing I set out gallon water jugs, cheaper than orange cones
When you practice for your pti, speak up, loud and proud. It'll give you confidence for when you are testing.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
I've been driving with my husband as a team in acargo van. We are looking to upgrade to a straight truck. I dont have my class B yet. So is it possible to get your class b without going back to school? Is it really that nerve racking to do? You Panther wifes as team drivers is this a good move? More Loads? Better Money? just give it to me tell how it really is?:confused::eek:

You can use Crist CDL Training Center - Tractor Trailer / Truck Driver Training School to help you with the written test, it tests you and then shows you which one's you missed. I have helped about 25 people get their Class B CDL over the last 17 years. If you lived in Ohio I would help you at no charge.

shaw8999

Seasoned Expediter
hey did u say? u will help someone get there class B for no charge? i have aclass c and need to uprade as soon as possible .I am a teamdriver with my husband and we would like upgrade to a straight truck.
Thanks
please email me At [email protected]

ShipWreck

Seasoned Expediter
Class B is pretty simple stuff really. Just get the booklet from your DMV and study up. Air brakes quiz section is the part that you really need to pay attention to. Pre-trip is basic stuff.

My wife passed her non driving exam, and the road test on her first try.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Pretrips are easy, start with following the DMV book and learning the 'cheat sheet' that is in most of them.

Learn the tire tread depth for steers and drivers.

Learn how to identify parts, fan belt, fan, brake chamber, etc..

Learn how to check the fluids, including the oil.

AND have someone actually show you how to check the brakes, meaning crawling under the truck and checking them. This will be more important for you when you are on the road than during your test.

The Air Brake section is really easy too, read the book.

sparkle8859

Seasoned Expediter
My husband and I are drivers at panther. We got out for 6 weeks and home for 6 days.Over a 6 month time period we averaged 1800 miles a week if that helps. I am looking into getting a van how many miles do you and yours average?