Getting started in Expediting?

watrucker

Active Expediter
I live up in WA state near Seattle, who is a good company to start with as a company driver or with an owner that needs a team driver. I don't have much experience in it but I have a CDL with hazmat. Looking to do straight trucks only (no tractor trailers for me). Want to get a feel for the job and industry before I make the investment in a truck. (Gotta try it before ya buy it right?) Thanks for any help or suggestions to point me in the right direction.

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
WATrucker;

Washington State is just not a hotbed for the Expediting Industry. You will need to seek out one of the larger carriers - Panther, Fed-Ex Custom Critical or LandStar for a chance at being successfiul in Expediting. I like your idea of driving someone else's truck first. You will discover everything Expediting requires and offers, and determine if it is for you. Be willing to stay out on the road for some period of time as it may be difficult for even the largest carriers to get you out of, and back to, home in Washington.

All the best!

piattteam

Active Expediter
Call Expeditor Services (or contact them via their web page).
They have hundreds of their own trucks leased on with FedEx Custom Critical.
We are o/o's and use them as our agent, to be leased to FedEx, and have nothing but good to say about them.
I have spoken with quite a few of their company drivers and they all seemed very happy.
I have a phone number and contact person if you want. Pm me for that info.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I see lots of loads going to Vancouver and the mines in far western CN. That's not too far from going home for op. On my way to Vancouver right now, then back to Seattle to wait for the next load. Never sat in Seattle more then 1 day. Trick is to be willing to go back to Canada or California from there.

armin88

Expert Expediter
Expedited services are good people but they only offer 35% and avg percent is 40% or 60% if team pays fuel. Don't know about FedEx CC but I know Panther doesn't do to well out west don't get me wrong they will get you a load but changes you be sitting a lot out west and home time may be an issue

watrucker

Active Expediter
Any chance of doing Over The Road in a cargo van? I don't mind being gone for a while, but I will need to get home now and then.