Getting Healthy!!!

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Okay Billy Boy, LM, Debbie, and anyone else that is on or was on the Atkins low carb diet I need your help and participation on this one. I along with many other drivers (that care to be honest and admit it) I am a tad bit over weight these days. I have heard many good things about the Atkins diet. That is the low carb diet!!! Billy sent me this site: http://www.atkinsfriends.com/ I checked it out and found it helpful but need more help than that. I’m the type of person that needs pushed or lead by the hand. I want to get healthy again and stay healthy. I hope there are some others out there reading this that is serious. Can we all help support one another here on the loading dock? I am looking for some ideas that will help me get started? My problem is, not knowing what to eat when the hunger urge strikes. The diet said to start 14 days without coffee. Are they CRAZY??? Is there anyone that will take part in this diet, and help???

Wild Bill

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
lol! The "no caffeine" part went out the window with me. There is no way I can give up Diet Pepsi. (For the good of the economy...lol)

When we are in a hurry on the road we usually dine on:
Pork rinds (0 carbs)
hot dogs (3 carbs each, no bun)
or a block of cheese. (10 0z, usually 0 carbs or less than one per serving)Sometimes I get those cans of corned beef and a fork and eat them in the truck.

This diet is easy in truck stops to follow. I usually get the buffet and pig out on the meat and veggies.

It is tough for some to give up sweets. I get the Atkins candy bars. They are expensive. But they taste great. Stock up on them at Wally world before going on the road. You can also go to Ebay and search "low carb" or "atkins diet" they have all kinds of stuff like that up for auction.

The toughest part for me is giving up hashbrowns and buscuits and gravy. If you feel you can't live without them, check out the crab blockers at places like CVS. I am told they work great.

You might also checkout the website http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/ they have a great discussion board on there. (my handle there is "Bigger than Budda" :+ ) They have a recipe section there. I have tried several of the dishes, all were awesome. I especially love this dish:http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/cgi-b...enbean+Casserole&category=Beef,+Lamb+and+Veal even if you aren't going on the diet try this casserole. IT IS AWESOME!!!

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I would echo Wild Bills coments.This is the only diet that works in truckstops.You cant order low fat or low cal.But you can have them hold the bread and potatoes back.A few will even give you a little off the bill.(Ft Wayne Truck Plaza)We carry string cheese single strips,that are convenient snacks.
We have been following this since april,and I have lost 20 lbs.My Partner has lost too,but her wt is highly classified.I can tell you she looks GREAT.
like Bill we could not give up the coffee and diet Pepsi,but we still see the results we wanted.
Myself I have added back about 25% of the carbs,to maintain where Im at.Oh yes expect some constipation.I hear DR ATKINS has some supplements and or vitamins that can help.We are going to check thi out at"Wally World" BEST OF LUCK

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have a cousin in New jersey and he is a Physician,last year he told me that in his Medical Opinion that ATKINS DIET may cause you to loose some pounds but it is tough on your liver and digestive systems.
I have stayed at 158 pounds thriugh 16 years of trucking and those who know me know I like my Cheeseburgers and Beer. But I get all of the exercise that I can.I have a fold up Bike made by Dahon that I carry in the truck and when the time come to layover I get it out and pedal around that Walmart?Mejiers/K Mart lot.
At home I walk a lot and work out with some stretch ropes,Also in the truck,simply put you loose weight when you burn more calories than you take in.
However we do try to eat a healthy diet,I hate vegtables but do eat a lot of fruit.I avoid the truckstop breakfast buffets that are loaded with Bacon/Sausage Eggs etc, all the good tasting stuff. I guess if it tastes good it!s bad for you.
Lots of little things add up,get your fuel as far away from the fuel desk as possible,slightly longer walk,we stop and I walk around a Kroger/Walmart for 10 minutes etc. Big thing in my opinion is exercise and it doesn!t have to be strenuous..

Wild Bill

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
I have heard doctors day that too. But I believe doctors as much as I believe disptachers and politicans...lol

Doctors were the ones a few years ago that were prescribing Pepsi as a "Pick me up" and cigarettes for energy (read any old doctors magazine before the 60's)

besides, these people prescribe drugs with some of the nastiest side effects I have ever seen. Some of the cures look more horrible than the dieases.

Everyday there is more evidence that Dr. Atkins was onto something. The medical establishment is starting to come around.