Getting back into expediting

coppertone

Active Expediter
My husband and I have been out of expediting for two years. We were laid off in Feb. '09, sold our home and moved to Florida where my husband now hauls racehorses. No job for me in two years (Florida's unemployment rate stands at almost 13%) I long to go back to expediting. I miss the travel and the job. We have signed up for the Expo in Wilmington, Oh. and we are driving from Florida to get all the info. that we can. We are interested in Express-1. Are there any drivers out there that can tell me how you like this company and how well the freight is going, rate of pay, etc. before we speak to Express-1 at the Expo. We would like to hear a driver's perspective before we hear from recruiters. ANY info would be greatly appreciated and much needed in making a major change in our lives. Our dream is to buy our own truck, and give up the apartment and live on the road. Thanks for your time!

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
You might try looking into Carrier Forums. See who posts from Express 1. They may be able to give you some answers.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
When you get to the Expedite Expo you will find drivers from Express 1 to talk with. What I did at our first Expo was have a notebook and I would talk to drivers then recruiters then drivers then recruiters. I kept notes on everything.

Do not rule out talking with drivers from other carriers as they can all offer you tips on questions to ask that you might not thought of. Plan on staying for the BBQ that will be held after the show closes on Saturday to talk with the biggest group of drivers.

The BBQ will be cooked by drivers and everyone is asked to bring a side dish. If someone cannot cook they can run down to the local grocery store and grab something to bring. Lawrence is providing all of the meat and condiments.

moose

Veteran Expediter
My husband and I have been out of expediting for two years. We were laid off in Feb. '09, sold our home and moved to Florida
... Our dream is to buy our own truck, and give up the apartment and live on the road. !

How can one be laid off from Expediting ?
(or did i read it wrong ? )
beginning of '09 was very hard on everyone's, and it is mach better now.
you are already doing the right thing, by reading & asking here, and going to the Expo.
i have to say, tho'w, one should have a home !.
that doesn't mean a mortgage or a rent bill, but a place you have friends/family, or REALLY enjoy taking time off AWAY from the truck.
good luck, and welcomes back, C'Ya @ the Expo.

coppertone

Active Expediter
We were working for a fleet owner in '09. We delivered a load in southern Indiana at 3 am and at 11 am the phone rang and we were told to take the truck back to Ohio and we were being let go! He had sold the truck and was downsizing the fleet. No warning whatsoever!. Plus, we lived 4 hrs. away from where we had to leave the truck, so we had to rent a car to get home. Try getting everything you have in a truck in a rental car. Very bad owner. That's why we want our own truck this time. We have 2 years experience so we have a pretty good idea of what to expect. We have married children, 1 grandson, and another on the way back in west. Pa. so we definately have a place to hang our hats. It's a good area to get freight in and out (Akron, Cleveland, etc.) so that makes it great. We like the idea of living in the truck and saving our money, and going home to see the family when in the area. It works out well for everyone. Living in Florida we only see the family a few times a year. Thanks for all your advice. I really appreciate it. God Speed!

coppertone

Active Expediter
When you get to the Expedite Expo you will find drivers from Express 1 to talk with. What I did at our first Expo was have a notebook and I would talk to drivers then recruiters then drivers then recruiters. I kept notes on everything.

Do not rule out talking with drivers from other carriers as they can all offer you tips on questions to ask that you might not thought of. Plan on staying for the BBQ that will be held after the show closes on Saturday to talk with the biggest group of drivers.

The BBQ will be cooked by drivers and everyone is asked to bring a side dish. If someone cannot cook they can run down to the local grocery store and grab something to bring. Lawrence is providing all of the meat and condiments.
Linda, Thanks for the great advice. I always follow your blog. I look forward to meeting you at the Expo and sitting in on your seminar. Driving up from Florida we will only be able to be at the expo on Saturday, but we will make the most of it. Thanks again and God Speed!

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Looking forward to meeting you... Grab me if I rush by as I am usually on a mission. The workshop is fun and it really is not my workshop it is all the people who participates round table. Often the best replies come from the audience not from who is standing or sitting at the front of the room. It is truly a workshop where it is one for all and all for one! Those two hours fly by.

Thanks for you comments on my blog I enjoy writing it and replying to questions.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Looking forward to meeting you... Grab me if I rush by as I am usually on a mission. The workshop is fun and it really is not my workshop it is all the people who participates round table. Often the best replies come from the audience not from who is standing or sitting at the front of the room. It is truly a workshop where it is one for all and all for one! Those two hours fly by.

Thanks for you comments on my blog I enjoy writing it and replying to questions.

The workshop roundtable makes it worth it to go to the expo, even without all the other great stuff you will find there.
Linda is right, the fastest two hours you will ever have!!!

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I'd just reiterate what Linder said: take notes, because there's so much info it can get mixed up after a bit. And if you feel a 'connection' with people, ask if you can get their phone numbers, for follow up conversations - sometimes, there's just too much going on to get it all done in one day.
:)

fredb29617

Seasoned Expediter
I am currently with them but looking for another carrier there run's are so short that it is hard to make a living. But with that said as you will be running team that may make a difference. Another thing that concerns me is they have started a new pay program where you have three different item's that you need to meet to get to increase your per mi rate. And it is only for this month? Things are getting a little strange here. Good luck where ever you may travel.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Cheri I am glad you brought out the point of taking notes and getting numbers! Phone numbers are not given out lightly and if someone gives you their card or number they mean they will be there to help and answer questions. Do not be afraid to use the number.