Getting annoyed with paper log books

bigshow345

Seasoned Expediter
Thinking of going paperless, any ideas? I was thinking of taking a page out of Werner's playbook but I don't really wanna pay for the qualcomm uplink

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
I use a laptop program called eclipse. Got it from a website called diesel boss. Cost around $60, and you can download it and try it for 30 days free. Its very easy to use and edit if you need to:rolleyes: Its easy to E-mail the logs to your carrier.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

roadeyes

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
If you are looking for paperless logs (not to be confused with EOBR's) then I would suggest "Drivers Daily Log".

Drivers Daily Log Program (DDL) - ddlsoftware.com - Trucker's Duty Status Log Software and more. Includes New USA 2005 & Canada 2007 Rules.

Supports both U.S & Canadian rules and is very user friendly.
They also have different templates you can use for your pretrip inspection.

Please keep in mind however that unless things have recently changed (allowing electronic signatures) , no matter what paperless log program you use, you must still be able to print and sign a copy at the end of every day. As I said, unless things have recently changed, unless there is a hardcopy with your signature on it, it is not a legally binding document and LEO or DOT are under no obligation to accept them. Offering to email anybody a copy is meaningless unless there is a legally accepted form of signature on the log, so you would still need a printer in your vehicle to output hardcopies no matter which program you use.

EOBR's on the other hand, while still a grey area in some jurisdictions, are generaly accepted without a signature as there appears to be a perception that you can't cheat with them anyway, so most authorities don't enforce the signature rule with people running EOBR's.

If you decide to go the EOBR route, I would recommend going with VDO.

VDO - RoadLog

Not too expensive and no subscription or maintenance fee.

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
You can download both of these for free and try them for 30 days, I did and went with eclipse. For me it was so much easier to use. As far as the signature goes, with eclipse you can sign a log page with your mouse (took me several attempts) a fill in the blanks then save a master copy of it. After that you fill it all in with a single click of the mouse. I've been using it since April, my company is happy with it as they have found no violations. Been checked by DOT twice, they hardly even looked at it, seem to think of it as a EOBR (which it is not). I usually print my hard copies twice a week, and email copies to carrier at same time. But you should give both a try for yourself.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

bigshow345

Seasoned Expediter
I am my own carrier and my own authority. Id probably have to check with the communist dictator ship known as Michigan state police motor carrier division.

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
Just remember that Paper Logs DONT BEEP !!!

Ive used Eclipse and it works great, but Im still writing my Loose Leaf logs if there correct and current the LEO will scan them thru the computer and sends me on my way....never had an Issue and sure dont miss those BEEPS