gettin' online

Riverbob1

Expert Expediter
After nearly four years expediting I've decided to join the modern age. I recently purchased a laptop. I'd like to solicit some comments from drivers regarding two issues.

1) getting online.....wi-fi seems neat, but a little complicated with the major truck stops all offering competing (and apparently non-compatable) systems. I'm thinking the various cell phone service providers programs for broadband might be the better way to go. Anyone want to weigh in?

2) gps-assisted navagation programs. p.c. miler seems pretty popular among drivers, but there apparently exist several versions. Anyone care to relate their experiences and thoughts-in-general?

JohnO

Veteran Expediter
I’ve been very pleased with Verizon wireless card for my laptop unlimited usage $59.00 a month plus cost of wireless card $49.00 and $25 activation charge. Where ever I have phone service means I can connect to the internet, depending on area it will either be dial-up or broadband speed.
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/mobileoptions/broadband/index.jsp

A new version of CoPilot Truck just was released called CoPilot Truck Laptop 9 cost is $399.00. It is the only truck specific GPS developed giving HazMat routes, low bridges location and routes to avoid. I’ve used laptop 4 version and found it to be quite helpful. I ordered and installed version 9 but haven’t had the opportunity to use it as yet.
http://www.dieselboss.com/Travrout/cptruck.htm

bernieh48

Veteran Expediter
Oh my gosh. First off I completely understand what your going through with the Wi-Fi service. It's very frustrating. I just got my Sprint PC card last night for my laptop and I am typing this as my husbnad is driving. It's great. Like the person before me said, anywhere you have service on your cell phone you have it for your computer. Sprint is the same price as Verizon, so whoever you have your cell phone through you can get a PC card through. I know Cingular has one too, but not sure how they compare on price to Verizon or Sprint. Hope this helps.

vipra

Expert Expediter
A way that's cheaper than using a PC card with your cell phone is to get FutureDial's SnapDialer software. I pay only $15/month for Sprint's Vision plan to get the web through my phone using Snapdialer. You mentioned getting broadband through a phone- as far as I know that isn't available, just the slow 56K.

raceman

Veteran Expediter
I use a Sprint card and I have Co Pilot Truck and Microsoft streets and trips for GPS. As I have stated in other posts. Microsoft S&T is by far best

Raceman
OTR O/O

unorthodoxneon

Expert Expediter
I havent tried the broadband wireless or heard anyone who's tried so me lost on that. For the wireless to get better reception further away from the access point is to get a wireless card that supports an external antenna that you can mount outside the truck or van. I'm a computer geek (built my own desktops) and have to have internet while me out driving to either talk to friends and family or just search online.

JohnO

Veteran Expediter
Randy
What specific antenna for a straight truck are you talking about? Never built my desktop but I did fix an 8 track back a few years ago.

Thanks

unorthodoxneon

Expert Expediter
http://cgi.ebay.com/ORiNOCO-Wireles...hZ008QQcategoryZ45000QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

Link is kinda long but its to an EBAY site. If you laptop has an extra slot for that card PCMCIA card, you put it in, put the antenna (magnetic) ontop of something somewhere which i'm not sure what kind of height clearance you may have if you put it right on top of the truck but its about a foot tall. And then take the cable and put it into the card. Should be better reception and get out and pick up farther.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Jeez, my laptop is a year old, it doesn't need a card or antenna, all I do is park behind a motel that offers Wifi, or Starbucks, Panera, etc - there are lots of websites like Netstumbler that list places with free Wifi, and get online free! I paid $20 a month for SBC's Freedomlink, which has a phone number you can call 24/7 - tell them where you are, & thay'll tell you where you can get online, usually McDonalds, but it's so easy to find free Wifi, that I seldom use it - I like to keep it simple, lol. :+

Fr8 Shaker

Veteran Expediter
Cheri, I also have sbc freedomlink but we only pay 1.99 a month for it because we also have sbc, now at&t for our home service along with their dsl. if you have the home phone and dsl through them you can get the freedomlink for 1.99 by going online to at&t.com/freedomlink
as far as locations they update those on the software so you just click on the location tab then the state then select a city. It will then come up with a list of all places with addresses.

Good Luck,
Fr8 Shaker

dieselphreak2K

Expert Expediter
Cheri, I used to get away with sneaking behind the best western, but the van is long gone, and the big red behemoth gets noticed easily.

I went to the local alltel today and picked up an aircard and it's about 60 a month, and so far it works great.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
FrtSha8ker, I found out about the $1.99 a month deal - when I added a home phone, which is SBC, but they wouldn't give me the lower price, because I'd signed a contract for a year on the Freedomlink. I figure $20.00 a month is cheaper than anything else I found, and I also get a discount from Cingular through ConWay, so I'm not complaining - till the Freedomlink contract is up, anyway, lol. I have a question, though - do I need to get online to find the locations? Cause that's kind of a classic Catch 22 - can't find out where to get online, if I can't get online!
Diesel: if you park at a place with truck parking, odds are they won't notice you, or chase you away, even in Big Red. They never bother me, & there's always McDonalds, which is better anyway, cause you can waltz in to use the bathroom. ;)

unorthodoxneon

Expert Expediter
I think once i get going i'll be going with the broadband card. From doing some research it looks like along all the expressways there is service. And in the major cities there is broadband coverage and i kinda figure that most freight is probably at the major cities. I have a nextel phone so more then likely i'm swinging to the spring broadband service. I would like to get a Flying J account but i probably wont be stopped at a J every day and would like to have internet pretty much everyday if i could.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Phreak, if you had your radio on I would have said hello this morning at the Saginaw J. Does your Alltel card work well in Alpena? I'm probably going to go with something like that at the end of the year when my J subscription is up.

I'd rather tango than waltz.

Fr8 Shaker

Veteran Expediter
Cheri, No you don't need to be online. Just bring up your freedomlink and that box that comes up that searches for networks, on the left side you should see where it says locations, click on that then when that loads click on a state then look for the city then click search.
hope that helps.

Good Luck,
Fr8 Shaker

dieselphreak2K

Expert Expediter
ahh, I was on one of those called just in time pickups. Not thinking. The air card is okay in Alpena, until the towers will go EVDO, and then it'll fly like it does here in Minooka, IL.

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
I use a Verizon air card to access the web. That way you can surf just about anywhere without being tied to truckstop WiFi.

For navigation I used ALK's CoPilot Truck Laptop4 from it's introduction. ALK recently brought out CPT 9, and while I've only used it for a week, it it a better program.

Rex

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Ditto what JohnO and others said about Verizon. We have also used the Wilson amplifier to increase the Verizon air-card range with delightful results. The amplifier boosts cell phone performance too.
See: http://www.wilsonelectronics.com/

The amplifer difference is most noticable when we are driving. The signal is more stable so stays connected for longer periods of time. Signal drops and reconnects are reduced. For a solo driver, the booster would be of little use with an air-card since one does not drive and surf the web at the same time (let's hope!).

Wi-Fi cards are cheap and many Wi-Fi networks are free. If your laptop computer does not have Wi-Fi built in like many new ones do, you can buy a card at CompUSA, Best Buy, Circuit City, Radio Shack, Fry's and other electronics stores.

There have been times when we've been in hotels where the Verizon signal is weak. That's when the Wi-Fi card comes in handy. We've also used it as cheri1122 does, if we are needed to get online in a remote area and the Verizon signal was not available. It is noteworthy that some states now offer Wi-Fi hot spots at some rest areas.

If you are in a van, Cheri's technique is easier to use than if you are in a truck. Vans are more nimble and it is much easier to run around in a hotel cluster or retail area until you find a free hotspot. What might take a few minutes to accomplish in a van may take a half hour in a truck.

We carry two laptops in the truck because we got tired of waiting for the other to finish using the one we shared. Wi-Fi cards are great for setting up a wireless, peer-to-peer network between the two machines. I do that to back up each computer to the other. In addition to storing our backup data at home and away from the truck, one computer mirrors the other. If one breaks down we can get on the internet or into our business or personal data with the other computer without missing a beat. Wi-Fi makes it easy to keep the two machines in sync.

That technique could also be used by drivers that have a desktop computer at home and laptop in their truck. When home, it would be easy to connect the two using Wi-Fi and move backup data between them. Both machines would need a Wi-Fi card (built in or external) to do this.

I LOVE the ability to get online for an unlimited amount of time while parked away from truck stops and even while Diane drives down the road.

At the moment, we're sitting in an upscale shopping mall, parked near the delivery trucks the grocery store uses here. We spent a quiet night here with a cool breeze blowing through open sleeper windows.

If I wanted a cup of store-bought coffee, I'd walk over to Starbucks. The grocery store bathroom has signs on the door and inside about how management prides itself on clean bathrooms. They have the same chart on the wall for the attendant to initial that truck stops do. The difference is in the grocery store, the attendant actually cleans the bathroom before initialing the chart.

Here, there are no pubic-hair collections to view, no fear of trucks backing into yours while you sleep, no smell of urine and a litter-filled parking lot, and none of the other negative features that makes truck stop life so special.

That's the difference Verizon internet access makes. That quality-of-life enhancement on the road makes Verizon worth every penny we pay for the unlimited access service.

Wi-Fi has its advantages as noted above. Wi-Fi's biggest disadvantage is limited range. We have and use both Wi-Fi and Verizon. If we had to choose just one over the other, it would be Verizon.