generators

stahly88

Seasoned Expediter
B. Stahl Is anyone familiar with those Rig Master generators? I was wonder what the price range was and if they are worth the time and money...
Thanks...

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If you do a search of the archives you will find a lot of discussion with plenty of details. The short version is they cost about $6500 if you get them during a show special at one of the major truck shows and they pay for themselves within about 18 months on fuel savings.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes, they are worth it. Contact Espar of Michigan for pricing. I think they start at about $7500, but don't quote me. I have a friend with a Rig Master and he's very pleased.

rollnthunder

Expert Expediter
>B. Stahl Is anyone familiar with those Rig Master
>generators? I was wonder what the price range was and if
>they are worth the time and money...
> Thanks...

When you look into them check with espar they had a discount for ooida members.You saved $300.In november when i was looking at them i think it $7200 installed

wallytrucker1

Expert Expediter
Got mine @ Big Rig products O K City Very satisfied for price, but now you can get cat or perkins motor and oil change interval is now up to 1000 hrs with the larger oil sump. Join ooida first=$300 discount. good luck.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We have had our Rig Master generator for two years. Our generator is the version with the heat/cool sensor and also the battery monitor. We set our thermostat to monitor our batteries all of the time and then we set the thermostat to come on when the truck gets to cold or to hot. We have over 2000 hours on our generator and we have had no problems with it. We never idle our truck when we are stopped the generator is on and has always kept us cool or warm depending on our needs. Anyone can tell you I do a lot of cooking in the truck and the generator 99.9% of the time keeps up with me. We would recommend a generator to everyone. Figure your cost of the generator compared to what you save in fuel or wear and tear on your truck. The generator also helps make our truck comfortable enough we never get hotel rooms and if we are gone for long from the truck we know our dog will also not suffer. Peace of mind!

DnT

Seasoned Expediter
I agree with everyone who responded. I just got mine, and I love it. Like others have said, if your not an OOIDA member, join. Its only $25 till the end of the month, 1/31/07. I also have the auto start, for the batteries getting low, and the tempature.I can't wait to start saving money in fuel.

Redbird Girl

Seasoned Expediter
When we were with A.Blair they put on a Onan with a rooftop A/C, think the bill was about 6200. and they even built a nice box for it under the side it worked good and saved us money on fuel.They had a place in Goshen,IN. do it

Redbird Girl-LIVESTRONG-LIVE LONG

http://groups.msn.com/RedBirdGirlSnowball/_whatsnew.msnw

Say what needs saying & Do what needs doing because you never know about tommorrow!:) :)

GittinThere

Seasoned Expediter
We had our Rig Master installed just before Thanksgiving and we like it as much as we thought we would, actually even more. The only problem we have is the control panel is confusing sometimes, especially if your trying to set it and your really tired. The good news is Rig Master has a new for 07 control panel, that is easier o see and use, so if you get a new one, make sure you get the new panel instead of a last years model with the old panel for the same price. The co. that installed ours, Landmark Trlrs. of Knoxville Tn, which we highly rcommend, is checking on us getting a new panel. They have told us that ours is the newer style with the larger oil pan, so a new panel would work on ours, but may be costly to change out. We purchased our unit through a Lease Purchase Co. Rigmaster refered us to, so we didn,t have to pay the total purchase price up front and our accountant liked be able to write off the lease rather than depreciate the unit, saves us taxes. We also saved $300 for being an OOIDA member.

Mr.&Mrs.GittinThere
FedEx CC O/O D6758
OOIDA #788426

That's Us, We're Gittin There!====>

dieselphreak2K

Expert Expediter
I'm looking at an Executive Air System, which is only $5200. Little cheaper, and most of the same features. And I watch Ebay for APU's. There's a 3500-hour RigMaster going for $2800 right now. That would seem to be the place to get one.

FlameMerc

Expert Expediter
Hi All, I have a Rigmaster on my 2001 sterling that has over 6500 Hrs on it and it runs Great. If you are an OOIDA member you will save $300.00.
As for the Executive Air======RUN AWAY,Don't Walk. I had one and it turned out to be a Boat Anchor. I can say this because it cost me 3 days down time+Deadhead, on 4 differant occations and never worked longer than a couple of days. The Kenworth Dealer in INDY, worked on it for 10 hours while I had to Patiantly wait in there lounge. The only place you can get it fixed is ther location in Marion,IL. Thats where my Deadhead comes in. We have no Freight in that area. Lost time getting back into the Freight lanes. I had it for 4 months and got 10 days of it working the way it should. No compansation what so ever from Executive Air. It still wasn't working when I sold the truck, yet I had to pay off the Lease in Full $6700.00 Go RigMaster Drive Safely.......Butch:) :) :)

kangar0085

Seasoned Expediter
What does the 1000 hour or 2500 hour or 3500 stand for its lifetime or the time before you have to recharge the generator?

FlameMerc

Expert Expediter
FYI The hour meter tells you how many hours your unit has ran. It's up to you to monitor this meter and service accordingly.......
Drive Safely......Butch :) :) :)

G

Espar of Michigan can help you with that Rigmaster your thinking about. We cater to the expediting industry. Call Ray or Kathy @ 800.837.3900 to discuss benefits and financing. Espar of Michigan has been specializing in Idle-Reduction for over 17 years.

Time Out

Seasoned Expediter
>Hi All, I have a Rigmaster on my 2001 sterling that has
>over 6500 Hrs on it and it runs Great. If you are an OOIDA
>member you will save $300.00.
> As for the Executive Air======RUN AWAY,Don't Walk.
>I had one and it turned out to be a Boat Anchor. I can say
>this because it cost me 3 days down time+Deadhead, on 4
>differant occations and never worked longer than a couple of
>days. The Kenworth Dealer in INDY, worked on it for 10
>hours while I had to Patiantly wait in there lounge. The
>only place you can get it fixed is ther location in
>Marion,IL. Thats where my Deadhead comes in. We have no
>Freight in that area. Lost time getting back into the
>Freight lanes. I had it for 4 months and got 10 days of it
>working the way it should. No compansation what so ever from
>Executive Air. It still wasn't working when I sold the
>truck, yet I had to pay off the Lease in Full $6700.00
> Go RigMaster Drive Safely.......Butch:) :) :)

I have been lurking here for awhile and I feel the time has come to make my first post.
I purchased this "Boat Anchor" from Butch. In all due respect to Executive Air, there was a simple part that had to be replaced which appeared to be a manufacturer defect. Gary @ Executive Air replaced the part "Free Of Charge" even though the warranty had already expired for the covered part. He shipped it to me and it took maybe 30 minutes to replace the part and recharge the system. The unit has been working fine ever since.
I would truly like to express my appreciation to the participants in these forums that provide truthful and helpful facts based on their experience and knowledge in the trucking industry.

DocRushing

Expert Expediter
It took me quite a while to find a place where I could get an oil change and a filter change on an APU.
One Thermo-king dealer (a Rigmaster dealer) said that he was not willing to bother with nothing more than that.
Another Thermo-king dealer (also a Rigmaster dealer) did the work but charged an excessive price.
One Kenworth dealer (also a Rigmaster dealer) did the work but charged a grossly excessive price -- and the incompetent mechanic -- a real expert! -- had much difficulty in restarting the engine after he lost the prime on the fuel suction -- and he tried to pour five GALLONS into that small engine instead of five PINTS.
Espar in Detroit also declined to do routine service. (The man on the phone candidly said that they preferred to limit their work to other better-paying work -- rather than piddling little oil changes.)
That was the last time I called Espar for anything.
Eventually I've found two good places to do the work for reasonable prices: Speedco and the shop at the west annex at the headquarters of North American Van Lines in Fort Wayne -- formerly NAVL Fleet Service but now an outside shop renting space there.
The workers at several TA and Petro shops said that they would do the service on the APUs -- provided that I provide my own filters.
That was OK, but I felt no confidence in the familiarity of the grease monkeys in those shops to work on APUs.
Now I routinely go to Speedco.
That's one main reason for my regular patronage at Speedco.
Good luck to the rest of y'all!
Doc.

Teflon

Seasoned Expediter
Just got new Rigmaster after Chrismas.....replaced an old Proheat that was a maintenance nightmare. $7400 install for the the auto start function model.....heard that service shops far and few between... had 50 hour oil change at Speedco for $28.00, but they have to be watched closely.....overfilled my oil by one quart and generator would not start..this is after I told them that they should put in 2 qts oil and slowly fill last quart to full mark on dipstick.

Generator works great so far.....stuck in toledo right now with frozen fuel crossover line....Rigmaster been running 4 days straight and is keeping us warm in 20 below weather

EagleRiverWI

Seasoned Expediter
I had an oil change at Speedco in Atlanta. I also had them do my Thermo King apu. After they bent up my filter with their channel lock pliers, they found out they did not have one to replace it. They sent me a mile down the road to Thermo King for the oil change. The apu is too expensive to have confused people working on them.