Generator Placement

WiscoJackrabbit

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Hello Expediters,

I apologize if this has been discussed before(IT HAS to have been) but I cannot find a discussion in the historical threads on where those WITHOUT CARRIERS for your generator are running them. I'm just getting into the business and will be sweating it out for a while with fans and a roof exhaust vent in my Promaster, but I am giving serious consideration to a rooftop AC and generator in the future. As for heat, I'll cross that bridge when Winter gets closer.

So I see that some have their generator mounted to the rear door hinges, some have a front end carrier(mighty expensive to put a front receiver and cradle on a Promaster) and some are running the Onan under the chassis. I'm trying to be thrifty here, so those are not viable options for me at this time.

Are there any of you out there who carry the generator inside and set it outside when you stop? Do you just chain it to the chassis? Is it frowned upon to set it outside the van while parked at a truckstop. (Yes, I've already given thought to making sure the van is upwind from the exhaust.) I was thinking of a Honda 2000 with a propane conversion and just set it out the door, chained or cabled to the van for security and of course not forget to bring it back on-board before taking off, lest it should be like the dog on Vacation. I know it's cumbersome, but is this a common practice? I'm scratching my head here.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Shotcallerj

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hello Expediters,

I apologize if this has been discussed before(IT HAS to have been) but I cannot find a discussion in the historical threads on where those WITHOUT CARRIERS for your generator are running them. I'm just getting into the business and will be sweating it out for a while with fans and a roof exhaust vent in my Promaster, but I am giving serious consideration to a rooftop AC and generator in the future. As for heat, I'll cross that bridge when Winter gets closer.

So I see that some have their generator mounted to the rear door hinges, some have a front end carrier(mighty expensive to put a front receiver and cradle on a Promaster) and some are running the Onan under the chassis. I'm trying to be thrifty here, so those are not viable options for me at this time.

Are there any of you out there who carry the generator inside and set it outside when you stop? Do you just chain it to the chassis? Is it frowned upon to set it outside the van while parked at a truckstop. (Yes, I've already given thought to making sure the van is upwind from the exhaust.) I was thinking of a Honda 2000 with a propane conversion and just set it out the door, chained or cabled to the van for security and of course not forget to bring it back on-board before taking off, lest it should be like the dog on Vacation. I know it's cumbersome, but is this a common practice? I'm scratching my head here.

Thanks!
Hey brother, so you can absolutely mount a generator to your back door. The hinges are strong enough to support one like a small Honda. I have a powermate 1700/2200 which is quiet, mounted to mine. I built a rack on the back by buying heavy duty shelving mounts from Home Depot and welding them to make them solid. Ran two pieces of tube steel to connect them. I then bolted it to the back door and ratchet strapped the generator to it. Then ran extension cords inside the frame of the van, and kept them plugged in. I had it on there for years without issue. I used keep a 2 gallon gas can that sits on top of the generator and straps down for fuel as propane is very expensive. Never had an issue with exhaust.

For an air conditioner I use a stand up AC unit. The generator runs everything including my AC at once without issue.

There are some expeditors who take their generator in and out of their van and secure it to it while they are using it. Which is absolutely an option. However if you have to sit in a Walmart parking lot or something like that you're probably going to get messed with. Truck stops not so much. Just make sure you remember to secure it before you take off.

I wouldn't recommend a front generator Mount as the front end is already heavy enough it being a front wheel drive. Would play hell on your front end suspension.

Reactions: WiscoJackrabbit

WiscoJackrabbit

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Thanks for the response, Shotcallerj. I'm pretty handy with a welding machine, but I sold mine last year, along with all my fab equipment when I moved and downsized. :( Unfortunately, that leaves me either finding a fab shop that won't charge an arm and a leg(not likely) or buying something pre-made. That was why I'm asking about dropping the generator out the door when I park. I like the stand up unit idea. I've seen a lot of people poo poo them for vans, but I think they work just fine in a small place. I've had one in the past that I used, sleeping in an uninsulated cargo trailer, and though it didn't cool the entire structure, one could sleep with the cold air blowing directly on you. I would think the smaller BTU units would be more suitable for the 2k watt Honda or Yamaha if positioned in a curtained off section of the van, but I'm new, so what do I know! :) I've pretty much accepted that if I go the generator route, I'm destined to put it out the door for now, so my main concern was if I would get too much static for that behavior. I could see getting messed with at Wal-Mart by not just Karen but probably wandering weirdos in general as well.

Reactions: Shotcallerj

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
Thanks for the response, Shotcallerj. I'm pretty handy with a welding machine, but I sold mine last year, along with all my fab equipment when I moved and downsized. :( Unfortunately, that leaves me either finding a fab shop that won't charge an arm and a leg(not likely) or buying something pre-made. That was why I'm asking about dropping the generator out the door when I park. I like the stand up unit idea. I've seen a lot of people poo poo them for vans, but I think they work just fine in a small place. I've had one in the past that I used, sleeping in an uninsulated cargo trailer, and though it didn't cool the entire structure, one could sleep with the cold air blowing directly on you. I would think the smaller BTU units would be more suitable for the 2k watt Honda or Yamaha if positioned in a curtained off section of the van, but I'm new, so what do I know! :) I've pretty much accepted that if I go the generator route, I'm destined to put it out the door for now, so my main concern was if I would get too much static for that behavior. I could see getting messed with at Wal-Mart by not just Karen but probably wandering weirdos in general as well.
If you need more information, you might try searching through the old threads on this forum. There were at least one or two threads with good information.

Shotcallerj

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
I know man, it was absolutely painstaking to drill into my back door. So I definitely understand wanting to just have it out the back. Definitely make sure that you chain it to that tow hook in the back.

I sectioned off a sleeping area in my van after I insulated it. Used two thermal curtains to separate my sleeping area from the freight area and it definitely helped keep it cool. You just have to run the exhaust hose out your window.

fuzzyhutch

New Recruit
Researching
US Army
I know this is an older thread (and I am a newbie) but thought of a possible solution that would be more flexible than a permanent mount on the rear door, more secure than setting it on the ground. If you have a receiver hitch you could easily build a rack/cage for pretty much any size generator that you want. When you stop for the night slide it into the receiver and use a good receiver lock. You could even wire a shore power plug near the rear to plug it in to. Just a thought. The only benefits to this rather than building a permanent mount is that you would not have to drill into your van door and it does not have to sit outside in the weather all the time. Con is you have to remove it to load/unload.

Reactions: Turtle

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
I know this is an older thread (and I am a newbie) but thought of a possible solution that would be more flexible than a permanent mount on the rear door, more secure than setting it on the ground. If you have a receiver hitch you could easily build a rack/cage for pretty much any size generator that you want. When you stop for the night slide it into the receiver and use a good receiver lock. You could even wire a shore power plug near the rear to plug it in to. Just a thought. The only benefits to this rather than building a permanent mount is that you would not have to drill into your van door and it does not have to sit outside in the weather all the time. Con is you have to remove it to load/unload.
Have you ever lifted a generator full of fuel....
Mounting the generator on the front in a receiver hitch is a better idea.

fuzzyhutch

New Recruit
Researching
US Army
Have you ever lifted a generator full of fuel....
Mounting the generator on the front in a receiver hitch is a better idea.
Dan, Yep, I definitely would not do it with a 3000 watt regular run of the mill generator LOL But new small inverter type generators that you would need to run a small portable AC and/or a small microwave are not very heavy. The little suitcase type generators is what I was thinking about when I posted this. Generac has a little 1200 watt suitcase generator that weighs 35 lbs and a 2000 watt version that weighs 45 lbs. and will run 5-10 hours off a single gallon of gas. I agree a permanent mount is a much more desirable scenario. Just throwing the ideal out there. I have seen a lot of pics online and youtube where the expediter just had the generator sitting on the ground behind the van....I am much too paranoid about thieves to chance that :) I was envisioned a small cage with expanded metal around the generator and a receiver hitch stub welded to the front of the cage. Handle on the cage to lift it with and its small enough it could just sit behind the wheel well or even hang on the wall when not in use. ~Hutch

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Make it so when you get a load, you are not running around in a hurry moving and putting things away. Mount a generator on wither the front, or a rear swing arm. That way all you have to do is shut it off. And you're back will thank you as well. Mount a rooftop ac unit permanently on the roof. Out of the way, and most efficient. Get a 15,000 btu unit, along with a 3,000 watt generator. After getting tired of spending big money on a Honda EU3000I, I found a Snapper ( Briggs and Stratton owns them) generator at Menards for under a grand.. 3 700 watt continuous, 4300 watt surge, and lighter than a Honda, but yet relatively the same size. So far, so good. The only issue with this one is that it has a carbon monoxide detector on it. On the same side as it's exhaust port...smh..so, if it gets a whiff of its own exhaust, it will shut down. I have yet to disconnect it. Buy an Espar for the dependability and service that Espar of Michigan provides. Or if $$$ is tight, those Chinese diesel heaters work well, from what I hear. I'd buy 2 of those so you have a backup. I hear the fuel pumps go bad on those pretty often. Just remember, it is better to have too much and not need it, than to have too little and need more. Spend the money and do it right. Way too many cheap out and are disappointed in the performance of what they bought.