generator mounting?

dancorn

Veteran Expediter
I went through several scenerios on where to mount my generator including the front bumper (on an extended bumper guard/grille guard). Finally decided on the left rear door of my 2003 Ford van. I am currently having a box built using heavy gauge aluminum. Plan to mount using bolts and fender washers on the inside of the door.. Also plan to use a load binder to add support to the door. It would be attachd to the box and hook into the rear edge of the roof. Should be installed next week. Also, asjssl had a posting with pics on this same subject a few weeks ago. Hope this helps.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Back in the early 90's it was quite common on half ton Vans to mount the spare on the driver side rear door. It seems to me something similar with a heavier gauge steel or Aluminum where two of the brackets are tied in with the hinges & the third attached to the door above or below the latch\handle. Looks like a sideways V. Then fabricate the generator base & any side brackets needed off the original bracket.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Keep the weight low on anything mounted to the door. Maybe under 100lbs otherwise you may have hinge problems.

fedexhatch

Seasoned Expediter
thanks Gregg! the honda is fourty pounds I looked at a bumper system on line put that seemed steep almost 2,000 bucks!

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
011-1.jpg

010.jpg

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I'm looking at a GE right now and you push the button and it take the interior air and uses that.

I think a lot of the cheaper 5500 and those a bit larger don't have that option, they take the air from inside only.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Yes it is normally called indoor/outdoor vent but this GE has a specific recycle air button.