Generator and Truck fuel usage separated?

lugnut1

Seasoned Expediter
For IFTA purposes, can the gallons used for the generator and those used for the truck be separated?

Note: We do know the amount of gallons used by each generator and each truck.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Yes if you are filing yourself but keep records with hours run and fuel consumed.

No if the company or carrier is doing it.

As of my last filing records, I have a 8.54 mpg with the truck and this includes the reefer, which I have to install the reefer tank again to separate the fuel.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We have a separate tank for the generator and it is filled with off road diesel that is reported at the end of the year.

I keep track of the gallons and separate fuel tickets for this tank.

lugnut1

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks Greg and Linda for your responses.

When truck and generator fuel usage is combined to represent total fuel used, per quarter per truck, it decreases the Mile Per Gallon reported to IFTA and hence more road tax is owed.

Fkatz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Most Reefers are not conbined with your Main Fuel Tank in the trucks,
they are normally separate,

When You fuel up after you fill the main tanks you must turn off the pump, and then have it turned back on for the Reefer to fill. that way you wil have a fuel Receipt with the total Gallons for Truck Fuel and the $$$$amount,
It should also have either a separate reciept for the Reefer Fuel showing the same, or T/A, Pilot, Flying J and Petro show both if you tell the cashier it will be separated.
But if you fuel at a regular gas station you must get 2 separate reciepts

That way only the Fuel for the Truck will be considered in the IFTA and Mileage Tax

The reefer fuel will not.

Plus when you fill your taxes or have someone do them, it should be separated as follows

Fuel on Part III line 39 or if you purchase your vehicle within the tax year, it should carry to Part II lione 9 but you msut use the Auto wooksheet due to depreication taken on new truck

Reefer Fuel must be put In Part V Other expenses. and stated as such in descirption

Frank’s Tax and Business Service
120 York Rd
Kings Mountain, NC 28086-3151
(704) 739-4039 Fax: (704) 739-3934
e-mail: [email protected]
Web Site: http://prep.1040.com/frankstax
Franklin Katz, ATP, PA, PB,

Providing Professional Accounting, Bookkeeping, Payroll and Income Tax Preparation Services

Circular 230 Disclaimer – Any tax advice in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, by any taxpayer for the purpose of avoiding related
penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (2) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or tax related matters addressed herein.

Slacktide

Seasoned Expediter
Most Reefers are not conbined with your Main Fuel Tank in the trucks,
they are normally separate,

That is true on TT's but not so much on the straight trucks. In all my time out here I have only seen a couple that use a seperate tank for reefer/generator.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using EO Forums

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
I know this is an old thread, but I'm thinking of adding a tank on my truck for generator and reefer. What's the price savings at the pump? I know my overall mpg goes up so my fuel taxes will be less, but isn't it cheaper at the pump? And how much? $.10? $.50?

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
There is not a discount at the pump it is a deduction on your taxes. Talk to your accountant about this.

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
To get a non highway fuel price you can get it from a farm supplier. Here at home I get a .42 discount on my tractor diesel. It has a red dye in it so the DOT can make sure your not running it in your truck.

sent from my Galaxy Tab2

Fkatz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hi All,
There is no discount on reefer fuel,

On TT's there is a separate fuel tank that hold about 30 gallons, not sure exact amt. but you fill each separately, Main tanks first then reefer tank, and make sure you specify, that you are filling the reefer so you do not pay fuel tax on it.

On straight truck its another story. There is a formula for figuring your actual cost, but I o not know.since all of the fuel is together, Best thing to do is to have a separate Reefer Tank added if It is feasible, and cost effective.

I have tried to figure it but It is not easy to do, IF I come up with a solution I will advise you all

Frank's Tax Service and Business Service'
315 E. King St
King Mountain, NC 8086
704-739-4039
Fax: 704-739-3934