General Questions from a potential Expediter

Loose_Cannon47

Expert Expediter
Hi, All...
My first post here...I'm looking at a third profession as an expedite driver, and just have a few questions right now to help formulate a business plan...please bear with me...and if you have anything to add, please feel free...

Across the board, what kind of average fuel consumption can I expect from both a Class C and Class D diesel truck? Obviously, there are a lot of variables to be considered, but we're speaking in general terms here.

In a team environment,and with regards to available freight, is the Class C or Class D more in demand, and would it be more advantageous to run a Class D with a single axle, tag axle, or tandems? Certainly, the results will differ depending on the company you are signed to, but, again. we're speaking in general terms.

Are there enough available loads to warrant the added expense of a tag axle or tandems?

My (possibly flawed) thinking is that the truck would be available for more loads with increased weight capacity above 13,000 lbs, and that it would make more sense (and more money) to carry "C" loads (at C rates) as needed rather than to deadhead to where the next available "D" load might be.

Your input will certainly be appreciated...

Loose

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Hi, All...
My first post here...I'm looking at a third profession as an expedite driver, and just have a few questions right now to help formulate a business plan...please bear with me...and if you have anything to add, please feel free...
Across the board, what kind of average fuel consumption can I expect from both a Class C and Class D diesel truck? Obviously, there are a lot of variables to be considered, but we're speaking in general terms here
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
A C unit will get maybe a mile or two more depending on what types of units

In a team environment,and with regards to available freight, is the Class C or Class D more in demand, and would it be more advantageous to run a Class D with a single axle, tag axle, or tandems? Certainly, the results will differ depending on the company you are signed to, but, again. we're speaking in general terms.
D would be the vehicle of choice. If it is the larger carriers you seek, then a tag axle is not usually necessary. A single axle would be fine.

Are there enough available loads to warrant the added expense of a tag axle or tandems?
There should be enough loads. If you are with the smaller carrier it would have its advantages. In most cases they seldom pay for themselves because of higher costs whether through additional fuel usage,FET tax, license fees, higher insurance, and tires.
The difference in rates is minumal when factoring in the expense of having one. Might be ok on a used vehicle as it effects the cost little when purchasing.

My (possibly flawed) thinking is that the truck would be available for more loads with increased weight capacity above 13,000 lbs, and that it would make more sense (and more money) to carry "C" loads (at C rates) as needed rather than to deadhead to where the next available "D" load might be.
Your thinking is correct with the above information if you are not factoring in the expenses. Once those expenses are factored in, it changes the picture as to whether it is profitable. My personal experience with these on several trucks is that they never pay for themselves.
Davekc
owner
20 years

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
My prefrence but this is my opinion.

Class D and class D only never C.

Single Axle have never had a need or seen a need for more than 13,000 pay load and that was only once. Next highest weight has been 11,000 third 8,800 than lower.

Fuel mileage Standard probably just above 10 I have an Allison so I am right at or just below 9.

Just like the other post said, lower mpg, higher tolls, and tags. My expierence says I made the right choice not putting a tag on my truck or pusher. It could also depend on your carrier but if you need an extra axle its gona wear the engine and all working componets that much harder.

Loose_Cannon47

Expert Expediter
Thanks, Folks...I guess if there isn't a demand for a BIG truck, then why invest in one...Single axle "D" sounds good to me...Broompilot, thanks for the numbers...while my career change is still 12 to 18 months out, it never hurts to have as much information as you can gather...I went to MATS and looked at the Shaker conversions...seemed a little pricey for 400K-plus miles...but I like the larger cab and sleeper...will be driving team with my SO...and she likes her creature comforts...I'll continue to hang out here and see what I can learn...I did post a fuel cost message on the recruiters board...I'm curious to see what those folks have to offer...Thanks again...

Loose