Gearing up for full-time drive-away work (again)

DelivRyMan

Active Expediter
Driver
Hello, fellow expediters! I got into "specialized expediting" a couple years ago and am trying to make a go at it again--doing "drive-away" work (relocating all types of vehicles, including straight/box trucks, utility trucks, semi tractors, buses, truck-mounted cranes, etc.). I love to drive and with the short-term commitment to each vehicle, I didn't get bored or burned-out with my short-attention-span! Unfortunately, even while working as an independent contractor (1099) for two different drive-away companies, there was too much downtime and overhead expenses, and not enough take-home pay; sometimes I felt like I was subsidizing the vehicle moves :anguished:

If anyone comes across this thread and has any helpful tips, suggestions, caveats, etc., that you know of--and would be willing to share--I would be greatly attentive and appreciative!

Also, does anyone know of any employment opportunities (rather than independent contracting) doing drive-away work? :)

Last edited:

DelivRyMan

Active Expediter
Driver
Yes, I do have a tow car (and I’ve also used public transportation if the transported vehicles didn’t have a tow hitch or receiver).

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you can't tow a car, drive-away can get expensive getting to the next job. Also you incur lodging fees. I met a couple driving a pair of school buses out west somewhere. They were headed to Seattle. They approached me to ask about expediting so I assumed they were looking for something more profitable. They both had class B licenses. I steered them to E.O. and suggested the fleet owner route.

If I were to get into drive-away I'd buy a tractor. I could pull new trailers and also hook up with LTL companies to pull odd trailers or full sets.

Reactions: DelivRyMan