Gays and wedding picture taking....

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
What else are governments going to force people to do against their beliefs? Just more proof that the government, the courts included, are very much out of control.

pandora2112

Seasoned Expediter
In a free market these things take care of themselves...forcing someone to participate in something they don't believe in is jacked up!

Sent from my VS910 4G using EO Forums mobile app

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Next will be, you can only drive your vehicle on designated days..................based on the last 4 digits of your ss number.............

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Next will be, you can only drive your vehicle on designated days..................based on the last 4 digits of your ss number.............

It is more likely they are just going to outlaw private vehicles, and property in general.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

Maybe because it's a business transaction, not a philosophical statement?
If the photographer takes photos of an activity, is that an endorsement? I don't see it that way. As one Justice said, you need to separate your beliefs from your conduct in order for society to function.
If you have trouble with that concept, just substitute Muslim beliefs for Christian. We have freedom of religion, so if Christian beliefs can be imposed upon commercial transactions, so can Muslim beliefs, and Hindu, and Scientology, and, and, and.
It's okay as long as it's your beliefs, huh?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If there is one and only one photographer then maybe it's legitimate to say they must take photos they don't want to take. This is you know what. And that has nothing to do with it being a gay wedding. If a Muslim photographer wants to refuse to take photos of any "infidel" events that is their choice to make. It has NO place in the courts and anyone saying a particular business must serve a particular clientele is wrong, unless they are the absolute one and only provider. In that case it is not wrong, questionable, but not absolutely wrong.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
If the photographer takes photos of an activity, is that an endorsement? I don't see it that way. As one Justice said, you need to separate your beliefs from your conduct in order for society to function.
If you have trouble with that concept, just substitute Muslim beliefs for Christian. We have freedom of religion, so if Christian beliefs can be imposed upon commercial transactions, so can Muslim beliefs, and Hindu, and Scientology, and, and, and.

If there is one and only one photographer then maybe it's legitimate to say they must take photos they don't want to take. This is you know what. And that has nothing to do with it being a gay wedding. If a Muslim photographer wants to refuse to take photos of any "infidel" events that is their choice to make. It has NO place in the courts and anyone saying a particular business must serve a particular clientele is wrong, unless they are the absolute one and only provider. In that case it is not wrong, questionable, but not absolutely wrong.

Great Counter towards ones views that says "Yes.....WE WILL live in a Nanny State whether you like it or not."

Living here in the Northern region of Mexico, I get calls ALL THE TIME where the person on the other end starts out with "Se Hablo Espanol??" My Reply is ALWAYS "NOPE".......and then I transfer the call over to Mr Dial Tone. Am I discriminating against the Hispanics here in this part of Mexico???? NOPE..........Reality is.......Texas IS a part of America where English is the preferred language........whether others like it or not..........and I should........as a Business Owner......have a right to conduct Business how I want to conduct business. It would be a Cold Day in HELL if Government ever forced me to Learn Mexican Talk to service - provide a service to Everyone that Called or Frequented my store.

Same way with this Lady above.................

If she DOES NOT want to Photograph Gay Weddings............then she has the G-D RIGHT to NOT Photograph Gay Weddings............PERIOD.

Good Gawd............................:mad:

pandora2112

Seasoned Expediter

The problem is that isn't how a free market should operate. Just as she can refuse service consumers can refuse to go to her business. I am not a Christian and if I ever bite with bullet with Spongebox I plan on having a handfasting not a traditional wedding, I want the person capturing our big day to be someone who is okay with my choice. Otherwise I have bad pictures and a possible hostile environment. When people find out about your business practices they will decide whether or not to do business with you, she's losing some business because of her choice. And she's potentially gaining the very anti gay person's business...but that's how a consumer driven market should work.
If we start forcing people to do business against their principles or morals, misguided stupid or not, we are losing another freedom. What's next forcing the organic vegan grocer to carry meat because it discriminates against meat eaters? Forcing a Christian bookstore to sell Islamic books or my online store for everything pagan Azuregreen to sell Christian items because it's discrimination?
I don't agree with her beliefs but they are hers to have and it's my right to not give my business to her. Just as it's hers to refuse service.

Sent from my VS910 4G using EO Forums mobile app

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It has NO place in the courts and anyone saying a particular business must serve a particular clientele is wrong . . .

I can't believe the above statement was made . . .

colored-sign.png

whitesonly.jpg

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Rags, some people don't think too deep.
Myself included.

Shouldn't this be in the Soapbox ?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
If a restaurant, photographer, florist, baker or anyone else accepts any and all business in retail, then the have to accept gay business and black business and Muslim business without discrimination. However, if they accept jobs on a per-job contractual basis, they should be able to accept or reject any and all job commissions as they see fit.

For example, a restaurant open to the public must serve the public. Same with a photography studio that accepts walk-ins and general appointments. But a contract wedding photographer, a caterer, baker or a florist that does commissioned contract work should be able to refuse whatever work they don't want to do.

If you can compel someone to speak, then you can likewise compel them to remain silent. But the government can't to either.

If you can compel a photographer to accept contract work, then you can also force individuals to use that particular photographer, and only that photographer, for their photographic needs. And that's the argument that should be used in front of the Supreme Court.

If I were that photographer and were speaking with that gay couple, I'd tell them, "Sure, I'll photograph your weddings. The only thing is, you think I'm a good photographer, but I'm not. I don't know how to set exposures or the focus, and am still learning how to frame shots properly. Sometimes I get lucky, but not very often. I'll photograph your wedding, but your pictures are probably gonna suck. If I remember to take the lens cap off, that is."

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
My bad. I give too much credit for common sense and have too little patience. Turtle has the patience for the unabridged version.

If we are going to say a photographer must accept every photo shoot what's next, every expediter must accept every load request? It's the same thing. Not a company you want to haul for? Not a location you want to go to? Too bad. You aren't allowed to choose what job to take or reject based on criteria of your choice.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Would you really want to do business with someone who doesn't want to do business with you ? I know I've done sound at gay events for years and take their money it's all green to me ! So would you really want a photographer to do crappy work cause he doesn't want to be there in the first place just plain stupid.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Then should doctors/hospitals be forced by law to perform abortions? Sell the morning after pill? Seems like a WHOLE lot of government in your face to me.

I also did not know that wedding pictures were even close to a "civil right".