Gates blasts NATO, questions future of alliance

greg334

Veteran Expediter
"The North Atlantic Treaty Organization was formed in 1949 as a U.S.-led bulwark against Soviet aggression, but in the post-Cold War era it has struggled to find a purpose."

Struggled to find a purpose?

It has none. If the Soviet threat was still there, then yep it has a purpose but right now it has extended it self to be a US backed military organization that meddles in other countries, no less a mercenary group for the EU.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Yep..US and Canada should get out...let Europe take care of its own...

Well first many are now thinking that we don't need to be in Europe any more, a good thing.

Second the European Union has its own military organization which comprises of 27 member states providing the EU with a military organization stronger than NATO if they want it. The problem is that the US funds a chunk of NATO and the bureaucracy has been built around the idea that there is a Soviet threat we need to deal with today will be the road block we need to deal with - lots of our money going into the hands of a lot of Europeans. It will be a hard fight to get out of it but I feel it needs to be done in order for us to survive.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Sec Gates is spot on, as he normally is.

Yep, the Soviets are coming back. But what the heck, Europe is so left wing there is not all that much difference between them. Let 'em rot. Europe has always been controlled by their governments and always will. Let them sort it out now. We have bailed them out far too many times.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Layout, I had an interesting conversation with someone from Oxford this morning and he made a point that we appear to be so concern about spreading democracy across the world while at the same time we are dealing with not just one but two communist economies that are moving toward capitalism at a faster pace than we are heading for our demise.

He made a compelling argument that we should consider pulling our troops out of Europe, Korea and the middle east while ending any UN peacekeeping missions and cutting ties with NATO because we would be better off in focusing on our internal problems than any perceived external problems. In doing so, we still support the countries that we trade with and the other countries can be handled locally.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It is a very thin line between "isolationism" and "interference" to be sure.

Trade is the key to be sure but we need to insure a more level playing field. The rest of the world has some sort of protectionism.

I don't condone that, I believe it inhibits innovation. I believe our main problem is our tax system, it discourages investment.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Layout, Define investment.

I think taxes are just a small part of the equation, the biggest is not knowing where we are going then it is not having positive action out of the congress.

BUT with that said, I found out that NATO funding from us is over 72% of their entire budget with many member countries opting out of funding or operational support but electing to be part of their other programs.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Layout, Define investment.

I think taxes are just a small part of the equation, the biggest is not knowing where we are going then it is not having positive action out of the congress.

BUT with that said, I found out that NATO funding from us is over 72% of their entire budget with many member countries opting out of funding or operational support but electing to be part of their other programs.

Investment in context of building new plants, etc. Congress is a big problem and lack of any direction, good or bad, compounds their stupidity. A 35% business tax is a killer. That needs to be more like 10-15%.

NATO funding should be equalized.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
OK So congress needs to invest in plants, machinery and so on? Right?

The problem isn't the tax itself but the amount of tax regulations. The same thing holds true with what the administration and the departments are doing under the present legislation that has been passed in the the last and this congress. WITHOUT a way forward, and allowing the departments to come up with policy to fill the gaps left by congress, it is a big mess. My criticism of the republican/conservatives is simply they are sitting on their hands as they always have on key issues while at the same time being some sort of dictatorial social engineers with issues that are not just important right now because we have no jobs and the economy is faltering.

As for NATO, no not equalize, get out of.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
OK So congress needs to invest in plants, machinery and so on? Right?

The problem isn't the tax itself but the amount of tax regulations. The same thing holds true with what the administration and the departments are doing under the present legislation that has been passed in the the last and this congress. WITHOUT a way forward, and allowing the departments to come up with policy to fill the gaps left by congress, it is a big mess. My criticism of the republican/conservatives is simply they are sitting on their hands as they always have on key issues while at the same time being some sort of dictatorial social engineers with issues that are not just important right now because we have no jobs and the economy is faltering.

As for NATO, no not equalize, get out of.

No congress should not invest in plants, private industry should. They won't because of the uncertainty, high taxes, over regulation etc.

I guess NATO should go away. I am an old "Cold Warrior", remember? But I can see where it may be a good idea. Getting out of the UN is FAR more important. Kicking that "den of thieves" out of New York would be a GREAT start!