GasPods

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Are any E.O. members using this product on either their personal car or expedite vehicle? The GasPods appear to be an alternative to Airtabs. Perusing the GasPod website, most of the technical data seems to be anecdotal. Not much scientific data other than a couple of pictures of some really cool wind tunnel stuff of before and after GasPods. Both pictures look pretty much the same to me.

The GasPods are cleaner looking and more stylish than Airtabs and are also more expensive. I've gotta believe that the more aggressive design of the Airtab contributes to its proven benefits.

I plan on going with one of these products when I get my Transit. Even if neither contributes to improved fuel mileage, if they keep the back doors cleaner, its worth the initial cost.

http://www.gaspods.com/

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
GasPods have not been treated kindly by the hypermiler and modder forums, particularly in the threads where the GasPod people participated and staunchly defended their anecdotal evidence and the computer simulated wind tunnel results (they've yet to put a vehicle with GasPods in an actual wind tunnel). Some of the claims made (8 MPG, and my favorite, a 15% increase in fuel efficiency at speeds as low as 35 MPH) are quite literally impossible according to the laws of physics (laws of fluid dynamics and coefficient drag calculations).

These things (micro vortex generators, or VGs) will contribute to very specific aircraft aerodynamic effects, but everything else depends on ... location, location, location. Without specific CFD/tunnel testing on your particular vehicle shape/forms, applied at wrong locations (even millimeters off) these things may not contribute at all, and may even cost aero-efficiencies.

NASA will tell you straight up that small, trapezoid-shaped fins properly placed will yield great aerodynamic benefits. GasPods are not at all trapezoid-shaped and thus create micro-mini micro vortexes. Air Tabs, on the other hand, because of their "aggressive design" create the same vortexes as many smaller trapezoid VGs (3 Air Tab VGs instead of about 12 trapezoid-shaped VGs in the same space).

Air Tabs are a little more forgiving, only because large vans and box trucks are more consistently boxy, and the more right angles you have on the trailing edge the more a vortex generator will help. On an already aerodynamic car, like a Prius or an Accord, Air Tabs will make a difference, but not in a major way. They'll make more of a difference on a Jeep or SUV than a compact car. And they'll make an even bigger impact on large vans and box trucks.

I do remember getting a kick out of one post in the hypermiler forums from one guy who noted that Air Tabs didn't do squat for his Jeep, didn't reduce drag at all, except that he noticed his rear window stayed clean. Of course, the clean rear window is the result of reduced drag, but he couldn't see it.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You knew that. What did you think I was going to do with the 4 grand you are giving me for my Chevy.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Here's another one.

Attachments

• 1426128406494.jpg
    1426128406494.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 30

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yes... The methane gas created can be routed to your vehicles fuel tank. However, the apparatus needed to do that is not very comfortable.
that-was-terrible.png