Gas tank issue: chevy express 3500, cant refuel.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
When refueling, gas tank may take 1 or 2 gallons , then it trips the fill nozzle , then when u try again to add gas it trips the fill nozzle again, just started doing this. any ideas.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Mine does that. Don't know why. I pull the nozzle out to where it is barely in the reducer. I'm sure it has something to do with venting. I also put the gas in slow. After mine clicks off I can still put $5 more in it.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Mine does it now and then and it seems to be the pump not the van. I can go to two different pumps and know before I get there it will do that. Two others at the same station don't do it. I usually adjust how far the nozzle is in the filler which changes the angle enough to let it fill. Once in a while I just can't get it to cooperate at all and give up until the next station.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you suspect the pump is the problem, square the nozzle up with a hard flat surface, like the concrete island the pump is sitting on. Firmly tap the nozzle once or twice so the opening in nozzle makes a flush contact with the concrete. This somehow resets something in the dispenser handle. An attendant at a Costco showed me this trick. So far it has never failed.

If the problem is constant and at various pumps, my guess is a restriction of some kind in the filler neck. Could be an Okie Credit Card partially blocking the filler neck.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
If its possible for it to be a vent problem, you may be over filling. I read it somewhere that when you continue to fill the tank after the pump kicks off that you usually force a small amount of gas into the vent. If your like me, I always kept going until it jus wouldnt take any more which means your forcing that small amount of fuel into the vent several times on every fill up. Over time there is a buildup of dried "whatever it is that gas dries into"...lol. It clogs the vent...just like a carburetor on a lawn mower or an outboard motor.

Just what I read somewhere...kinda made sense to me though. I stopped doing it.

Last edited:

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Try turning the filler nozel handle about 90 degrese so the hose faces tword the back of the vehicle this helps allot with the flow I belive it maintains an air block. Just make sure the nozle is far enough in the filler neck so you dont get splashed.

Bob Wolf.

Last edited:

drheat

New Recruit
Driver
I have a 2015 express 2500 that does it all the time. Been to the dealer 6 times with no resolution.