fYI: NEW PER DIEM RATES EFFECTIVE OCT 1, 2015

Fkatz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
IRS Updates Per Diem Rates for Lodging and Meals

WASHINGTON, D.C. (SEPTEMBER 16, 2015)

BY MICHAEL COHN from Accounting Today
Magazine

The Internal Revenue Service has set the special per diem rates starting Oct. 1, 2015, which taxpayers can use to substantiate the amount of expenses for lodging, meals, and incidental expenses when traveling away from home.

Notice 2015-63 includes the special transportation industry meal and incidental expenses, or MI&E, rates, the rate for the incidental expenses only deduction, and the rates and list of high-cost localities for purposes of the high-low substantiation method. The rate for any locality of travel inside or outside the continental United States for the incidental expenses only deduction is $5 per day

.The special M&IE rates for taxpayers in the transportation industry are $63 for any locality of travel in the continental United Staes and $68 for any locality of travel outside the continental United States. (CANADA/MEXICO) These rates are figured at 80% or $ 50.40 per day as a Food reimbursement deduction. it is not a Refund!

For purposes of the high-low substantiation method, the per diem rates in lieu of the rates described in Notice 2014-57 (the per diem substantiation method) are $275 for travel to any high-cost locality and $185 for travel to any other locality within the continental U.S. The amount of the $275 high rate and $185 low rate that is treated as paid for meals for purposes of Section 274(n) is $68 for travel to any high-cost locality and $57 for travel to any other locality within the continental U.S. This paragraph is for other types of business persons is not for the transportation industry.

Frank's Tax & Business Service
315 E. King St
Kings Mountain, NC 28086
704-739-4039
Fax: 704-739-3934
E-mail: [email protected]

Fkatz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hi All,

I Wish to thank Team Caffee, Vandrver2 and all the others the sent me alerts of which I cannot name them all for thanking me for this information.

BUT REMEMBER, YOU MULTIPLY THE TOTAL NUMBER OF DAYS THAT YOU ARE OUT!
Lets Say 300 x 63 days would equal;- $ 18,900.00

Times the Maximum Allowance Deduction of 80% of the total would be $ 15,120.00 entered on line 24 Sch. "C" This is your DEDUCTION.

if YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS
Do Not hesitate to ask!

Franklin Katz, ATP, PA, PB
Frank’s Tax & Business Service
315 E. King St
Kings Mountain, NC 28086
(704) 739-4039
Fax: (704) 739-3934
E-mail: [email protected]

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't know why the IRS can't make these changes effective the 1st of the year instead of the 3rd quarter. I believe last year the deductions were 80% of $59 and $52. This year it will be 80% of $59 and $63. The IRS certainly wouldn't want to make things too simple for us.

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't know why the IRS can't make these changes effective the 1st of the year instead of the 3rd quarter. I believe last year the deductions were 80% of $59 and $52. This year it will be 80% of $59 and $63. The IRS certainly wouldn't want to make things too simple for us.
why not just give us a whole number rather then this % deal....no wonder there are so many book keepers in this continent!! :)

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Because the fiscal year for the gov. starts Oct 1.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Thanks Frank and thanks for showing the figures! This is a fantastic deduction for a team.

I believe this is right in order to claim the per diem you must have a place called home and it could be renting a bedroom, an apartment, or owning a home?