Fuel Surcharges

MR.SNAPPY

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was curious to what kind of fuel surcharge's have you been seeing. Seems like the last week I have been getting FSC of some where between 0.22 and 0.27 a mile.. needless to say I have been sitting more than usual. I will not accept those kind of fsc with fuel prices being what they are.......

one last question has anyone went to the flat rate program where all the FSC are the same on every load. if so what are your thoughts on that.... Thanks and be safe

Last edited:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Just have to pick and choose some loads. The FSC's seem all over the place. We refused a SC to Laredo load because it had a .13 fsc. That was followed an hour later with one for .84 cents, but half the miles. We came out better on the second one.

With regards to the flat rate program, it seemed alittle out of balance 6 months ago. Not sure what the current rate is?
I believe it changes weekly with the national fuel index.
At that time we decided to run on our current system.

Dreammaker

Seasoned Expediter
If the fuel surcharge is low, you can always ask for a bonus to make up the cost. Seems to work more often than not. You may be the only truck available to do the load. In that case, dispatch will more than likely find a way to help you out with fuel costs.

MR.SNAPPY

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was is Toledo last week and had several load offers with inadequate FSC and would ask for a bonus or help with the deadhead. was told we have to many other trucks in the area.. I just do not know how some of these other owners can make a profit running loads at such low FSC..

MR.SNAPPY

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just have to pick and choose some loads. The FSC's seem all over the place. We refused a SC to Laredo load because it had a .13 fsc. That was followed an hour later with one for .84 cents, but half the miles. We came out better on the second one.

With regards to the flat rate program, it seemed alittle out of balance 6 months ago. Not sure what the current rate is?
I believe it changes weekly with the national fuel index.
At that time we decided to run on our current system.

Dave, as of last week I was told the flat rate on FSC was 0.35 and going to 0.40 this week

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I was is Toledo last week and had several load offers with inadequate FSC and would ask for a bonus or help with the deadhead. was told we have to many other trucks in the area.. I just do not know how some of these other owners can make a profit running loads at such low FSC..

They still get those types of loads covered but the majority I believe are by drivers on a 40/60 split where the drivers don't pay fuel.
Many don't pay attention to driving and idling habits since they don't receive any of the FSC.
It may be beneficial for fleet owners with that pay structure to take the flat rate system.

moose

Veteran Expediter
Hi , All
You can now go to the web site
under : References
scroll all the way down to see the current FSC program price for this week .
can compeer it to what you got on this week loads , an make a wise decision as to join the program or not.
( it's only a fax away...)

as for me , I'm a newbee , so im in the program .
and getting a flat rate.
it is one more thing that i don't need to mess with , as i learn how to work with the Panther ,
knowing that im loosing some money doing so .
its also give me business stability as im trying to understand if im making money or not...
in my book it called : tuition !
my job right now is not to run the company but to
let the company run me .
will probably get out of the FSC program once gaining more experience .
never the less , every load offer i get , it have the FSC build in
so ,
by comparing that # to the web # :
i lost 3.1 C/M
this week .

Hope it Help.
Moose.
( actually : Hope always Helps ...)

tblount

Seasoned Expediter

They can't make much profit but most owners have drivers that take the loads and pay no attention to the fuel surcharge since it's not part of their pay.