Fuel Question

pellgrn

Expert Expediter
Looking at fuel prices,i noticed in C.T they use ULSD2 fuel in I.L they have 11% B-ULSD wondering the difference,both are winter blend?

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The Illinois fuel is number 2 with an 11%bio diesel content.

The farther north you go the fuel will still be labelled as Number 2 but will be blended for the temperatures in that area. For example, at a fuel pump in Knoxville TN, you will likely get straight number 2, maybe a 5 percent blend of number 1 to help it flow in the Tennessee cold. By the time you get to London Ontario, your fuel is likely to be 80 percent number 1 and only 20 percent number 2, anything north of Toronto is pretty much all number 1 even though it is sold as number 2 "seasonally adjusted".

As for the Bio content in IL, some trucks will run better on the stuff....some won't. My Sprinter...hates bio in any amount and I get poorer mileage. My Duramax, loved the stuff and would get the same or slightly better mileage up to a 20% bio blend. As a rule, bio SHOULD deliver lower fuel mileage as it has less energy content than regular number 2. It does however have great lubricity benifits for your injectors and is a natural solvent to help clean your fuel system out, just be prepared to change your fuel filters more often if you start using it as it starts to clean out the gunk pretty quick.