Fuel Prices

G

From this time a year ago, my fuel prices have increased 50%. Is that about what you other expediters are experiencing, or is your percentage even higher? When I mention this to dispatchers, their response is something along the lines of Yes, I know, it's just terrible. Last night I filled up my car, and it was $18, it usually only costs me $15! They're clueless.

G

I'm paying around $1.30 now. Last year about $1.06.
Fifty % is crazy. My company is paying my fuel tax so i do have a little edge. But freight has slowed down this month for me. 1000 or less paid miles a week. I dosen't help with company putting on more trucks. A lot are people who hire drivers and maybe the company may see their folly. Hope the old addage "A squeky wheel gets greased" dosen't apply to them!

G

prices in ind are 1.43 ga no dont expect it to go down it could go up to 1.70 by summer we will just have to eat less.

Joe

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Mr Another Expediter, Give the dispatchers a break. They don't make the rules nor can they "truely" understand our predicament.

Drivers complaining about their revenue, including discounted loads, short loads, downsize loads, fuel costs......... According to my dispatcher friends, they feel helpless when presented with these complaints because their hands are tied when it comes to how much a load pays and the revenue a truck is earning. They're pretty much locked in to the established tariff schedule. They counter with the idea that the contractor usually had a pretty good idea of what the freight rates were when he put that truck on with the company, and that the sometimes low-paying run shouldn't come as a big surprise. As a matter of fact, from the dispatcher's point of view, many of the loads we turn down or have complaints about seem to them to be high-paying loads, and they can't understand why a driver would refuse them. This is where understanding on the contractor's part comes into play. Many of the dispatchers have never been involved in their own business, let alone a specialized area such as expediting, so a little patience from our side is called for; they just don't know why what appears to be a lucrative run doesn't always make good business sense for the contractor.

When is the last time you asked a dispatcher how things were going in their lives? Do they sing the blues to you like we do to them?
I don't know about yours, but my dispatchers try hard and take a lot from some of us.

G

I don't know who Joe really works for but he does have a very good point, I make a point of trying to chat for a moment with each dispatcher I talk to and get to know them, any time I am in a dispatch office area I try to drop in and spend a little time there. You might be suprised that they are usually full of questions and want to learn about what our life on the road is like, so many of the drivers abuse them over the phone when they have no control over the situation and that makes their job ruff. I know, I've been a dispatcher, not for expidite, but the situations are not that different.

G

Mr. Rich M,

Where I work or who I work for is really none of your business, nor does it have anything to do with the statement that I made above. What I stated was just plain & simple...Good people skills and business ethic. If you weren't brought up that way, it's your loss.

I was a dispatcher at one time also, So I have a good idea as to what happens on both sides of the fence. There's always 2 sides to each relationship, and each of us have to come to terms with each other. Take up your responsibility to make a positive effect on your dispatchers, and I guarantee that in the end it will be better for yourself.

G

Good point Joe. Everyone loves to hate dispatch, but get real - they are not OPEC, they did not conspire together and inflate the prices. They get paid by the hour to dispatch not give therapy.

G

Joe,
I liked your last posting, we all need to be more understanding of the Dispatch, they really are here to do a job just like we are and part of our job is to work with them and they with us. Like my grandma always said "you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar."

G

Wow did I start something,it was merely "a tongue in cheek
"comment.I get along with all of the dispatchers and understand that they don!t make policies or have control over many of the external issues that affect us.So if I offened anyone please accept my apologies,especially you Joe..

Joe

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Rich M,
No you really didn't start something, that way of thinking has been around in this industry for as long as I can remember. Besides, it's good for all of us to sharpen one another when we get the opportunity.

No offence taken. Years ago I made up my mind to not take offence to the way people think or talk. It's a waste of time if you really think about it. But there is a lot of room for all of us to grow in, drivers and dispatchers both. Remain teachable!

I've taken the time to ask questions (both business and personal) of my dispatchers, and it's made me realize that they've got a difficult job to do, with little or no understanding sometimes from the drivers they deal with. It's helped me learn to temper my comments and irritation when I'm dealing with them, and it's had a positive effect on the way they treat me in return.

It doesn't work with 100% of all dispatchers, but it will work on most. It's a princible that the Bible speaks of:
"Do unto others what you would have them do unto you"

Besides, it will make "You" feel better even if it doesn't work for them.

Keep smiling!
Joe

G

Exactly, Joe H!

What happened to the original thread?

I was merely wondering what kind of fuel prices other owners were experiencing and made an off-hand comment about how dispatchers don't realize the impact it has on the people who do the real work in expediting and before you know it, it's turned into some touch-feely thread replete with homespun homilies, Biblical references and "Well, like my momma tole me-isms." I think it's admirable that so many of you want to leap to the defense of the oppressed dispatcher but that wasn't the topic intended. Next time, check the subject or start your own thread.

Joe

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Just Another, Your name fits you well. You are the one that brought up the issue tying dispatchers into the topic. The way "you" worded your comments opened the door wide open for the way the thread took.

Oh yea, in keeping with the thread--Fuel prices are rediculous.

Joe

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Just Another, Your name fits you well. You are the one that brought up the issue tying dispatchers into the topic. The way "you" worded your comments opened the door wide open for the way the thread took.

Oh yea, in keeping with the thread--Fuel prices are rediculous.

G

Dear Mr. Joe,

Since you choose to make this personal, I'll respond by saying that my screen name indicates that I don't feel that I'm anything special; I'm just another expediter out here trying to make a buck, and if anything, consider myself pretty mainstream in my attitudes regarding this business.

It's my impression that you have some sort of agenda in mind, maybe a particular axe to grind when the subject of dispatchers arises. As you stated, you worked as a dispatcher at one point, could it be you still have some unresolved issues as it relates to being on the driving side of the business now?

I never intended the original post to be a diatribe against dispatchers although the subject is worthy of a thread of it's own. It would appear though, that you're quite sensitive on that subject, and will jump in at the first hint of dispatcher criticism. How about you just climb down off your pedestal and save your speeches and "higher moral ground" attitude for when it's warranted and on topic?