$2.30 a gal Pilot at Dunnigan, CA
$2.25.9 Gal Champlain, NY

How high will it go?

Can anyone say, "Fuel Surcharge"?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I don't think we have seen the end yet. They say it might go down alittle but the oil industry is predicting close to three dollars a gallon by next year. I hope that doesn't come to pass. I know we have put a clamp on any excessive deadhead. Companies are going to have to start adjusting rates if it gets much higher.
Davekc

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
Company executives have been watching these numbers also. The friends I know in the positions of adjusting rates say it is a slow process because tariffs are posted. These can and will be adjusted, it is a slow process and the contractors like yourself pay the price before adjustments can be initiated. With prices constantly fluctuating they have a formula to follow. In the past years I had a friend who owned a large fleet of 150 trucks and he could not adjust rates quick enough because of contracts with shippers. He ended up closing his doors in less than 90 days. My advice to you would be to reduce idling, slow your speed a few miles per hour,make sure tire pressures are all where you want them, clean fuel and air filters. You kinda getting where I'm heading with this? Conserve fuel with every opportunity you can! Change your driving style to make the most out of every gallon. And if you ever thought about a generator before, well this may push your decision to operate a 3 or 4 cylinder engine that is in the 20 H.P. range versus that 350 horse air conditioner you been running. Do your part and operate safely and efficiently! This is going to be the difference between making profit and breaking even. Good luck and let us know how you make out?

apollo

Expert Expediter
How much is paid with a fuel surcharge? Is it a percentage or a cpm payment? The formula you mentioned, how does that calculate.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Every carrier is free to make their own formula.The one at FECC is very complicated,but I can tell you it is based upon the previous months avg fuel price.Since the first of the year,we have rec $4300.00 in rebates.This really helps out.100% of surcharge goes to the contractor.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Glen,

I have to agree 100% about conserving fuel. The days of carefree idiling are over - not to mention free use of the hammerlane.

I also think that devices like this will become more valuable over the next 12 - 24 months

https://www.expeditersonline.com/sub/espar/index.html

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

Education is the best defense against the media.

The Lord's Prayer is 66 words, the Gettysburg Address is 286 words, there are 1,322 words in the Declaration of Independence, but government regulations on the sale of cabbage total 26,911 words.

-----------------------------------------
Thanks For Visiting EO!

http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

RobA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Since I am posting here this morning for the first time in a while;
I believe that the days of relatively cheap fuel are over. The price might drop again when the business cycle slows and demand lowers but that's (hopefully)a long time yet.
Owner operators and drivers who pay the cost of the fuel from their split should be doing all they can; as pointed out in other messages; to lower their fuel cost.
Why make executives and shareholders of oil companies rich(er) because you want to drive at 120 KPH instead of 100 KPH.?

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I like the idea of the espar, but it says it has a small draw on the batteries. I would like a generator that doesn't draw on my batteries, has air and heat, and has outlets. Does anyone know of where to get a used one? I can't afford 7,200 for a new one... though I'd get it if I had the money.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I heard a report on Fox news indicating fuel will go to around $3.00 a gallon over the next 12 months. Already at $4.00 a gallon in Canada. I would advise doing as much planning as you can now because if that holds true, alot of companies and o/o are in for a large financial hit. I would clearly be in the market for a anti-idling device and watching maintenance and driving habits.
As in the past, companies will be slow to react until their fleet size starts to drop and it is effecting their bottom line. They are not paying the fuel bill so o/o's will take the biggest hit.
Davekc

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Fuel is not 4 dollars in Canada. In U.S. money it is a little more than 2.20. More than here though, for sure.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
My question about the impact of sky-high fuel prices is more strategic. Has anyone given any thought to the possibility that shippers will react to $3.00 a gallon fuel by cutting back on expediters and using LTL instead? It is a very inefficient use of resources to place one item of freight on a truck and send it across the country. At what point will fuel prices cause shippers to re-think their use of expediters and just-in-time freight? At what point will it be more economical for say automotive companies to build warehouses and move and store components in mass instead of moving them by truck a few at a time?

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
When has anything the big three done make sense? You're forgetting where expediting comes in, Ateam...ppl screw up. Throwing it on an LTL truck and not having it picked up for a week or more is usually not an option for hot freight. So, I doubt it'll be going down because of fuel prices alone.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Going back to the days of warehousing? I think it may be possible. Especially if the big 3 can pre-order steel based products. Have you checked out what is going on in the steel industry lately? It will make the fuel crisis look like a tea party.

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

Education is the best defense against the media.

The Lord's Prayer is 66 words, the Gettysburg Address is 286 words, there are 1,322 words in the Declaration of Independence, but government regulations on the sale of cabbage total 26,911 words.

Thanks For Visiting EO!
[p]
http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Kinda my fault as to not being specific. Fuel in Canada is probably 2.20 in Ontario. My last trip was in Vancouver. If you can find fuel there for 2.20 I will kiss your xxxx. It is roughly 4.00 a gallon. You folks are right in that more and more shipments will go LTL. You are seeing it already. Some of it is auto freight but a big push is on by refrigerated carriers going after the pharmacutical market. They have discovered more income with that rather than food distribution. I wouldn't get into too much of a rush to buy a reefer just yet. As for the idea of warehouses; you see them all over. A big percentage of our deliveries for auto are no longer straight to the plant. They are to warehouses that supply the factory. High sustained fuel prices will strain the industry. The biggest plus right now is the current driver shortage. Until the sub standard wage folks move in, everyone should be able to hold their ground.
Just my opinion of course.:)
Davekc

comfort king

Expert Expediter
An Espar heater does have a small draw on the battery - VERY SMALL.
1.0 Amp average. The heater runs 20 HOURS on a single gallon of fuel. The heater will pay for itself in less than 90 days. Can you say "money maker"? TRUCKERS UNITE - STOP COSTLY IDLING!