Fuel, DEF and Engine Idling

Grumpy Grandpa

New Recruit
Researching
US Army
This is kind of a Shotgun Blast of Questions because I wasn't sure if each deserved their own Thread If you think they do just let me know and I establish one for each.
1) I know that DEF is extremely important, I also know that Bulk DEF is a lot cheaper than packaged. If I use Bulk DEF from a Name brand truck stop am I putting the health of my engine at risk and inviting problems??? 2021 Freightliner sprinter
2) I am wanting to have an Auxiliary fuel tank put on my van (to increase it's range as well as be able to be able to plan cost effective fuel stops) any suggestions, recommendations or possible resources would be helpful.
3) I am concerned about how and when the Engine Idles (I know that low RPM Idles are not good and that Idling I cannot be completely avoided , for that reason I'm thinking it may be a good idea to have "smart Idle" type system installed. Any thoughts or recommendations.
I'm use to Big Trucks.... Sprinter van are a new ball game for me.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Grandpa, I have a family mover passenger Sprinter that uses DEF, I used to use bottled DEF, but then I switched to bulk. No difference, haven't had a DEF issue yet. 74k miles on the van.
My opinion, use what makes you comfortable. WalMart sells a 2.5 gal jug of DEF for 6.98 plus tax. That is pretty close to what truck stops sell the bulk for. TA and Pilot are over $3 a gallon, tax included.

I get about 600 miles to a tank of fuel. That is plenty sufficient to plan your fuel stops. I wouldn't mess with an extra tank and the associated complexity, not to mention the extra weight.

I would not idle any new diesels with the emission stuff.

Good luck. Make sure you stick around and tell us how you are doing in your new endeavor.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Reactions: Greg

Grumpy Grandpa

New Recruit
Researching
US Army
Thanks for your input about DEF. It seems that since they came up with the bright idea of using "Processed Pig Urine" to improve Emissions There Has been a lot of problems. Expecially when it comes to idling and clogging up the system. The low RPM Idles can be detrimental to the system due to an incomplete burn . A good smart Idle system should Let the Computer and engine work together to keep all healthy. if set properly it should Idle at an appropriate level to maintain batteries, Emissions and comfort (starting/stopping as needed). In the cold weather areas that would mean it would Idle the engine at a level to prevent the diesel from gelling up or the batteries from going dead. This of course is the perspective on a Big Truck (not sure on the smaller sprinter motor).

I agree with you I wouldn't Idle either unless it had a system designed to keep all running at the Optimal levels. That would be just inviting a maintenance nightmare

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There is an option on the Sprinter for a high idle, raising the idle over 1000 rpm is way better than a normal idle. the SCR system is not really that complicated, get a scan gauge and monitor the outputs from the NOX sensors and you will always know what is going on. You will have the occasional issue, but knowing how the system works will save you money from being taken advantage of at the dealership.

Or you could do like a lot of people do and rip out the DPF and SCR and send it back in time 20 years.....

Reactions: Grumpy Grandpa

Grumpy Grandpa

New Recruit
Researching
US Army
I'll have to look Into that. Not sure if it's what I'm looking for.

Grumpy Grandpa

New Recruit
Researching
US Army
I think doing that would also void the warranty on my 2021 Sprinter.... which wouldn't matter cuz I'd have alot worse things to worry about.... Just Say'n