Front Wheel Drive Van Question

dancorn

Veteran Expediter
I have about worn out my Ford 7.3 (753,000 miles) and am looking to replace it with a new/newer van. I like the idea of front wheel drive on the Promaster but have a question on traction. Hopefully someone with experience can give some feedback on this question.

How does a 2,000 to 3,000 load on the van effect the traction of the front wheel drive in ice, snow and rain?

Would surely appreciate any and all comments ASAP.

Thanks.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Not really. We have quite a few of them and it's no problem. Keep in mind the rear wheels are very close to the back so cargo weight is distributed to the front tires as well.

Reactions: brokcanadian

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Winter, 2 years ago in Memphis, a brand new promaster FWD, stuck in snow that melted into ice at the dock area. His front wheels kept spinning and the van didn't move and had to be towed out. Sadly, I took his load.

Not sure, may be an inexperienced driver?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Winter, 2 years ago in Memphis, a brand new promaster FWD, stuck in snow that melted into ice at the dock area. His front wheels kept spinning and the van didn't move and had to be towed out. Sadly, I took his load.

thats why I like the idea of rear drive still on vans....how do you put semi aggressive snow tires on the steer wheels and leave all seasons on rear? it seems weird...and would steer heavy feeling ...??? just tossing out a thought...

Reactions: Mailer

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

thats why I like the idea of rear drive still on vans....how do you put semi aggressive snow tires on the steer wheels and leave all seasons on rear? it seems weird...and would steer heavy feeling ...??? just tossing out a thought...

Yep. RWD for me too. I prefer changing the u-joints vs front drive shafts.

schwanman

Expert Expediter
4th winter on promaster and never got stuck. The engine and tranny over the drive wheels might have helped. Ran 1st set of all season continentals almost 200,000. Some people prefer rear wheel. I set my limit at 2,000 lbs and only had one load at that weight. I've never had it fishtail. I'm thinking because your pulling instead of pushing.
My 2 cents.

Reactions: ntimevan

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yeah, on foot.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Looking at Promasters still. My 2005 sprinter got stuck in a foot of snow for 10 minutes. Yes I know how to turn off ASR and yes I have full snows. No the one wheel peel does not cut it

(What did I do after 10 minutes? See ford pic above)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Looking at Promasters still. My 2005 sprinter got stuck in a foot of snow for 10 minutes. Yes I know how to turn off ASR and yes I have full snows. No the one wheel peel does not cut it

(What did I do after 10 minutes? See ford pic above)
Most will get stuck in a foot of snow!! Lol

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I had the luxury of a Dana 60 posi and got stuck only when the snow was coming over the hood...3 feet was no problem...Ford has it available (limited slip) but they have the silly super high roof on the largest door opening...Promaster 3500 is pretty close to the 2005 Sprinter in size...i change my mind every day, but getting stuck I cant afford, nor waiting for the roads to get cleared

My daughter's 1998 Corolla was doing rings around the court in one foot, I don't get the sprinter's open diff

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I had the luxury of a Dana 60 posi and got stuck only when the snow was coming over the hood...3 feet was no problem...Ford has it available (limited slip) but they have the silly super high roof on the largest door opening...Promaster 3500 is pretty close to the 2005 Sprinter in size...i change my mind every day, but getting stuck I cant afford, nor waiting for the roads to get cleared

My daughter's 1998 Corolla was doing rings around the court in one foot, I don't get the sprinter's open diff
Sux to be you... that you have to drive in those conditions...

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Canada lives up to its reputation once or twice a year...

Wait a minute don't you live in SD lol

It was the Ram Van with the Dana. Tempting to bring it out, but CNG only. And I'd bang my head off the roof if I tried to drive it again.

Charity's Van

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
i have driven both the gas and diesel promaster in snow and ice conditions, either one does just fine. only problam with promasters: gas engines get about 18mpg the diesels get better at about 25 mpg but the transmissions are not dependable.