Front Hitch for Chevy Express Van (2006)

vanman10

Expert Expediter
I saw a Chevy Express Van on Friday night at the Flying J in Franklin, KY with a front hitch/cargo Carrier solution on it but did not have the time to find the driver and find out how or where they had this done. I have seen a front hitch on a Chevy Express Van before but when I call around to the hitch installers in my area (Monroe, MI) I am told there is no front hitch/cargo carrier for my 2006 Chevy Express Van.
I would really like to have a front hitch/cargo carrier solution by cold weather to be able to mount my Coleman Powermate 5000ER. Any help with this front hitch solution would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I know that they make that hitch, but if you can't find it, they also make a straight universal " reciever tube" that any good hitch installer or welding shop can fab the right mounting bracket to install it for you...or if you have access to a welder, you can do it yourself....

vanman10

Expert Expediter
Thanks Purgoose10 and Chefdennis for the info. Looks like I will have plenty of power for heat and more this winter.

willgreg21

Seasoned Expediter
I had mine installed at the U-Haul hitch center in Marietta, GA. Works great!

The first one I purchased didn't fit. It was a couple of inches too wide. U-Haul had the correct hitch. Just needed a little drilling.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I like the front mount cargo baskets, but after seeing one, I would want one that has two supports instead of just the one receiver. A member here has his mounted with just the single receiver and it looks great. It is no doubt strong enough also, but it does tip side to side a little. I would prefer a more stable feel to it although his is no doubt safe and secure. For what it's worth, I know he has plans of changing his to a double support..if he hasnt done it already.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I looked everywhere for a front hitch for my 2006 Chevrolet van. Everything was for older models. Finally went to local fab shop and for $140 they custom built and installed my hitch. It goes over the top of the front frame and uses the long bolts that hold on the front bumper. I chose to go thru the bumper so I wouldn't have any clearance issues. Then I made a box with removable sides to hold my generator. For the side and up & down play, I drilled a couple of holes in the attached hitch, threaded them and used 3/8 bolts pushing against the slide in piece to take up all the wiggle.ImageUploadedByEO Forums1363038560.712911.jpgImageUploadedByEO Forums1363038583.652709.jpgImageUploadedByEO Forums1363038608.215542.jpgImageUploadedByEO Forums1363038632.392995.jpgImageUploadedByEO Forums1363038655.755851.jpgImageUploadedByEO Forums1363038684.955653.jpgImageUploadedByEO Forums1363038731.524991.jpgImageUploadedByEO Forums1363038753.689965.jpg

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Nice work! That would be plenty to tighten it up too. The strength is there, just needs tightened up a bit.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I used to have a hitch on the front, but for a different reason. I had a small sailboat, and putting the trailer in front of the van made it a lot easier to launch and retrieve the boat. Almost impossible to jack-knife, for low speed maneuvering in a parking lot at the launch ramp it's hard to beat.

I've seen a few of these set-ups on the front of vans, and I would suggest to Rocketman that it's not hard to cobble a support that will get rid of the wobble. A trip to the hardware store and your active imagination, and you should be set to go.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks Rocketman. I never thought to put 2 receivers, being custom built it would have been easy. Maybe on my new Ford. LOL. I built the box for my 2000 watt Honeywell but made it big enough for a future 3000 watt electric start Honda.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Thanks Rocketman. I never thought to put 2 receivers, being custom built it would have been easy. Maybe on my new Ford. LOL. I built the box for my 2000 watt Honeywell but made it big enough for a future 3000 watt electric start Honda.
Either way would work. I envision a nice deer catcher being incorporated into that somehow...lol. What are you doing for fuel? I don't see anything for that.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Right now, I'm just using the stock 1.5 gallon tank on the generator. I bought a fuel tank pick-up but need better weather before I drop the tank. I built the rack with 1/4 inch angle so if someone hits it, they will wreck their grill and hopefully not do much damage to my setup.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Sounds like a plan. I have had "0" problems with my fuel line being tapped into the van tank. Just be sure to seal it up good where you tap into it.

Some of the larger generators have remote start too...I think. That would be a big plus...in my opinion.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Once it's got a larger fuel supply and its hard wired to the inside, just pull my plates for venting and push remote start. It's still a work in progress between the weather and finding home time. But I will have a/c this summer.
ImageUploadedByEO Forums1363045895.130393.jpgImageUploadedByEO Forums1363045913.226255.jpg

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
That's a pretty big a/c for a 2000 watt generator. I think some have had luck running a 12k btu and some haven't. ChefDennis would one to ask about it. I'm not sure what you could do to try it out, but if you could...with the option of a refund...would be good.

No doubt you'll get it. You have plenty of time to plan the details.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The rating on this unit says it draws 1,350 watts max. It also has a heat pump for those coolers nights. Remember, the Honda 2000 can only run 1600 watts, the Honeywell is rated for 2000 watts, 2200 on a surge. It's at Costco, they take back anything! LOL

Last edited: