Frito Lay Sprinter - Is this a 16 or 18 ft box?

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Talk about trying to complicate the simple.

My only thought was why would two probably similar size vehicles have one with 4000 payload and the other a 1500 payload in similar operations ?
It is simple! It seems you can't grasp the fact that about the only commonality with these two vans is size. One is used in OTR expedite and the other is a fleet spec'd city delivery van. One is built on an SRW chassis and the other on a DRW chassis.

If you really want to know why Steve's Transit has a payload of 4000 lbs. read this thread, there is even a free video included: https://www.expeditersonline.com/forums/threads/the-latest-new-load-one-custom.70128/

As for the Frito Lay van, the OP's link only provides a picture. The OP isn't even sure of the box length. Morgan's website isn't very forthcoming with details. All we can do is speculate based on a picture of the van. One certainty is it is built on a DRW chassis. The OP was concerned about logging if he were to purchase a van like the one pictured. If this van is over 10,000 lbs. GVWR (which I'm sure it is) then logging would be required if operated beyond 100 air mile radius. If this van had a GVWR under 10,000 lbs. as Steve's Transit is, no logging would be required. Apparently the Frito van is 2 to 4 feet longer than Steve's Transit. Steve mentioned that to add two more feet in length to his Transit would add about 200 lbs./ft. I would think that Frito Lay, who had hundreds of these Sprinters built from a fleet perspective would probably forgo shaving weight over strength and durability that a city delivery vehicle would endure. Add two extra tires and steel wheels and a 1500 pound payload would probably be pushing the 10,000 lbs limit. That's just my thoughts. You're the van expert.

Thinking the alum floor Munchiemobile May have a lighter tare than the sleeper equipped, wooden floored, TransBlimp.
I'm still of the opinion that Frito Lay spec'd these to withstand the rigors of city delivery. Even the aluminum flooring is probably a heavier gauge than Steve's, especially if the box is 2 to 4 feet longer.

Racks, displays, etc wouldn’t play into it.
Any thing in the van plays into the total weight.

And do you really think FritoLay would hire a lower quality driver than say Opel, who’d put anyone in his van if they’d show up ?
I'm not familiar with Opel's hiring standards. The employees who drive these Sprinters are merchandisers/sales people and some of their compensation is probably commission based. My guess is most of their work day consists of loading their van and stocking store shelves. Maybe 25% of their time is behind the wheel.

You’re a smart dude, but sometimes you slip into that van logic.
This thread is or was about vans, hence the van logic.;)

A lot of speculation here with no real hard facts. Lets get the facts and go from there. The truck is designed for whatever it can handle, the boxes are clearly different and unique in their on separate entities. So until we can have a chip van fleet owner to chime in or get Morgan Olsen (tried twice already) on the line it's all hearsay. I'm not looking to haul over 2000 lbs so if I can strengthen a 1500 lb floor then I'm in business. I'm also not going to use the truck for expedite. I need sheer capacity and the fritolay boxes seem to be the longest and slimmest boxes. If I can't make this happen I will settle for a 170 extended.

Last edited:

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Last time i heard of an Expediting Frito Lay chip driver chime in was... NEVER ..

You were asking For Advice on EO from EXPEDITING drivers /owners about would this Chip Wagon work for Expediting or anyone tried something similar ... Now you say your not going to use it for Expediting .... WTF
GO BACK UNDER THE BRIDGE
b630fb564ef16af7dfa30b017a620497.gif

another day .. another bowl of Popcorn

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
These Frito Lay Vans really pack a punch when it comes to cubic cargo feet available. As in me calling some chip fleet owners is what I meant. Don't think I want to get a Frito Lay van to go back on expedite making .90 a mile. What are the current rates these days wouldn't know... hmmm :rolleyes:

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Just my 2 cents worth but if I was the guy buying vans to haul potato chips (which are MUCH LIGHTER than expedite freight!) I wouldn't be so concerned with the box weight. My main concern would be keeping the unit cost down on the largest commercially made box I could find... I'm sure this van weighs 8,000 lbs. (or more!) empty but why would I care if it only has 500 lbs. of chips in it?

I don't see how this van makes sense in expedite keeping other options in mind?

Sent from my SM-N900V using EO Forums mobile app

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A lot of speculation here with no real hard facts. Lets get the facts and go from there.
Let's get the facts? You started this thread with a picture of a Frito Lay delivery van wanting to know the box length and if it would be required to stop at scales. All we can do is speculate.

I'm not looking to haul over 2000 lbs so if I can strengthen a 1500 lb floor then I'm in business. I'm also not going to use the truck for expedite.
If you aren't going to use this van for expedite, what will you use it for? If you plan on hauling munchies locally, this is the perfect rig. If you're doing the U-Ship thing nationwide and have no concern for DOT regulations (logging and scales) then this would be an ideal van.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes Uship the uber of shipping hailing from Austin Tx, please come and place a bid against me odds are stacked up, just did 10 this month on 5-6kmiles so I don't get too excited these days over .90 a mile although no touch freight makes me want to return to expedite. I believe Grizzly is a carrier there and a few others I'm sure on expediters online use the website to move goods nationwide. I think about quitting everyday and going into the slum lord free house business.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Why not contact the seller or would you rather have us speculate again based on a photo? If you do contact the seller phrase your question in metric units. 4.9 or 5.5 meter box on this one? It is a Sprinter after all.

Reactions: Grizzly and piper1