Fresh not ripe produce.

Jamin_Joe

Seasoned Expediter
Have you noticed the amount of non ripe produce in our supermarkets?
Even frozen vegitables are not ripe.

The other day I bought a pack of lima beans and they had no green on them. while pealing the potatoes, they had green on them.

Strawberrys in the produce case had green and too much white on the tips.

Tomatoes with a pale red color and some green near the stem.

I understand the cost of food spoilage during shipment from the midwest, but give us a break!

The nutrients come from the sun and the dirt, which isnt on the truck or store room.

What are your thoughts?

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Have you noticed the amount of non ripe produce in our supermarkets?
Even frozen vegitables are not ripe.

The other day I bought a pack of lima beans and they had no green on them. while pealing the potatoes, they had green on them.

Strawberrys in the produce case had green and too much white on the tips.

Tomatoes with a pale red color and some green near the stem.

I understand the cost of food spoilage during shipment from the midwest, but give us a break!

The nutrients come from the sun and the dirt, which isnt on the truck or store room.

What are your thoughts?

Usually Publix, Hy vee, wegmans, whole foods are decent. Whats amazing is the difference between walmart neighborhood grocery and super center produce, night & day. Hard to believe same company.

Sent from my SCH-i705 using EO Forums mobile app

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
When possible, try getting produce from a local (roadside) farm stand or a farmer's market. Even local eggs are much better from the farm than the supermarket.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The problem with "green potatoes" is not due to them not being "ripe", they turn green due to exposure to light. Link below, green potatoes can be dangerous if too much is consumed.

[h=2]Potatoes Turning Green[/h]
Potatoes Turning Green