Freightliner, Hino, Sterling

Stitches

Seasoned Expediter
Can somebody explain why 2/3's of expediting straight trucks are Freightliner? Throw Hino and Sterling into the mix and those three nameplates make up almost 95%. Why are Pete, Kenworth, and International straight trucks far fewer?

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Can somebody explain why 2/3's of expediting straight trucks are Freightliner? Throw Hino and Sterling into the mix and those three nameplates make up almost 95%. Why are Pete, Kenworth, and International straight trucks far fewer?

my guess is freightliner is cheaper, international is more expensive and Pete and Kenworth don't really have medium duty platforms, although I have seen a few, they almost look like the semi's

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
my guess is freightliner is cheaper, international is more expensive and Pete and Kenworth don't really have medium duty platforms, although I have seen a few, they almost look like the semi's

Peterbilt does have a nice medium duty truck . You'll see a lot of them set up as car carriers . We know the Sterling is history . While the Freightliner is a good truck I find it odd expediters that have lost so much work due to manufacturers closing plants give their business to a German company that put thousands of Americans out of work to move production to Mexico .

guido4475

Not a Member

My only guess is that alot of people prefer price over quality. And maybe they prefer having low re-sale value at the time of trade-in,or maybe Mercedes-Benz credit is the only way for that person to get a truck, who knows.I have had a Freightliner, both new and used, and would never buy another one.A Freightliner mechanic one told me he compares a Freightliner to a Snap-Tite model.(anyone remember those?) I could go on and on as to why I wont buy a freightliner.

I cant say anything about a Hino, never had one.

Had a Sterling, and it was a Ford bought out by Freightliner, and they changed the name to Sterling.Some what decent truck, alot of plastic though, even behind the dashboard.

As far as a Kenworth and/or a Peterbuilt,I have had a K-W T-300 and love them.An awesome truck.And, yes, they do look like a semi because that is what they did,make a straight truck out of a semi, for the most part.Although they may not have the room and maybe even the ride of their competition,I'd want the durability and reliability of a Paccar product.And the resale value.They will far outlast the competition hands down.Why dont more people have a K_W or a Pete? Probably lack of room and higher price.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think it boils down to this, (for the class 7 and under crowd)

Freightliner , most truck for the least money, large dealer network with many open 24hrs, parts are cheap, it's really not a bad truck, have a choice of engines

International, no choice of engine (International only), they have had issues with it as well as the electrical system on the new style cab, alot of their dealers have lousy hours, truck is not as low priced as it used to be.

Hino, people are starting to figure out these units are not meant for high mileage highway service, yes some do Ok but those folks are lucky. Lack of dealers and engine issues being the other downfalls. Truck is very low priced though!

KW and Pete, great truck, nice cab, small dealer network, parts are more money, price of the truck is too high.

While there are exceptions to every situation, basically the Freightliner gives you the best value for your dollar and should be the least grief to own.

But truck buying and owning is a personal thing, you will run into boosters and haters for every brand, armed with stories to prove their point!!

guido4475

Not a Member
I think it boils down to this, (for the class 7 and under crowd)

Freightliner , most truck for the least money, large dealer network with many open 24hrs, parts are cheap, it's really not a bad truck, have a choice of engines

International, no choice of engine (International only), they have had issues with it as well as the electrical system on the new style cab, alot of their dealers have lousy hours, truck is not as low priced as it used to be.

Hino, people are starting to figure out these units are not meant for high mileage highway service, yes some do Ok but those folks are lucky. Lack of dealers and engine issues being the other downfalls. Truck is very low priced though!

KW and Pete, great truck, nice cab, small dealer network, parts are more money, price of the truck is too high.

While there are exceptions to every situation, basically the Freightliner gives you the best value for your dollar and should be the least grief to own.

But truck buying and owning is a personal thing, you will run into boosters and haters for every brand, armed with stories to prove their point!!

Oh, that was cold, Mr. Piper!! But I agree on most of your post.We all can't be right. right? lol.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Ford was bought by Daimler, not Freightliner. The name belongs(ed) to White or Volvo-White trucks but they didn't lay claim to it when Daimler was asking for the name.

The production of Sterling seems to be going on somewhere but because of the cross over into Freightliner's territory, there was no need to produce a different skinned chassis and have it compete against one another in the same family.