Freightliner Columbia 200k Mile Report

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The Columbia has hit 200k this week. I have been very pleased with this unit thus far, and with my decision to buy this repossessed truck a year and a half ago with 52k miles on it then.
The powertrain, DDC S60 and Rockwell 10 speed, have operated like a watch without any problems at all. Awesome power with computer downrated to 360 HP, and averaging 11.5 MPG.
The truck itself has been very smooth, quiet, and solid. It keeps its alignment and tracks straight with no unusual tire wear. I like the fact I don't have to worry about this truck's performance at all. Have been changing oil every 13k. Analysis has shown it could go a lot longer, but I won't chance it. Usually at the 13k mark the grease fittings are looking dry anyway, so I have made that the "A" service interval. Everything is gone over every 13k.
Out of ordinary maintenance problems have been few, here they are with repair costs:
Loose front spring hangar- $100
Leak in fuel return line behind engine starter- $270
Bad A/C compressor and A/C line- $400
With the 148k miles I have put on it and $770 of unscheduled maintenance that comes to around half a penny a mile for unscheduled repairs. Not too shabby!
Some other small problems are the chrome plating is still flaking off the mirrors (I replaced the plane mirror housings because of this, but need to do the convex ones too), I rewired the taillights with a segregated running light wire due to corrosion in some of the connectors (wiring was done by box installer, not Freightliner), and one of the plastic trim pieces in the sleeper that I liked to use as a handle to get out of bed broke, but it was not made for a 200+ pound ape pulling on it so I can't fault it. The driver door is starting to whistle a little air, but the weatherstipping is fine, so I think the latch just needs to be tightened a little.
The exterior of the truck still looks like new, and I get a lot of compliments and people asking "How do you like that new truck?" when it's not so new anymore with 200k on it. I do not baby it, but keep it clean and well maintained as a work truck and not a show truck.
The Morgan box has been doing fine too. I still hate the roll up door, which gets hit often by forklifts. When it dies, I'll have swings put on. I have been amazed with the amount of freight I have squeezed into this 24 footer, which has been void of any water leaks.
I believe the factory double frame has made a big difference with this truck as far as durability, handling, stability and tire wear go. It does not bow under the weight of even the heaviest forklifts in the box.
The Freightliner Columbia has been one fine expediter truck thus far. If you see one for sale in good shape for a song, I would not hesitate to pick it up. Comparing it to an FL70 for highway use, well, there is no comparison!
-Weave-

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Thanks for the update Weave! Your updates on your and your dad's trucks helps the rest of us who are looking toward the future.

Sounds like you made a wise decision in going with this truck... the comfort level alone has got to be worth the investment in the bigger truck. And.. with fuel mileage like that, why not? My FL70 only got a little over 11 with the 8.3L Cummins.. so why not go for more power and comfort, for same mileage and longer life....

Dreamer

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
People can knock Freightliners all they want, but the truth about the two I have owned and about 650k miles of expierience with them is they have never left me stranded, broken down under load, or been on the hook, and have had what I consider to be the bare minimum of unscheduled repair costs.
I have concluded that most big class 7 and 8 truck frames are about the same, including the holy Peterbilts. The powertrain makes the truck, and cheapo (or abused in the case of used trucks) powertrains should be avoided for highway use expediter trucks. Always plan for the best... that you will be racking up big miles, and need a high mile truck.
-Weave-

Tbigtruck

Expert Expediter
with all due respect, the Peterbilts are more of a truck than the rattle-box's will ever be. I started with a freight-shaker, then moved on to the big leages. there is no comparison between the two. also remember the resale of a large car in five years is double what a freighliner will be.
I'm glad your truck is doing well for you. I wish you the best with it and in your endeavors.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Don't get me wrong, the Pete's are great trucks with quality beyond compare- I'd have one if I could afford one:7
I was simply referring to chassis components on my posting- engines, trannies, drivelines, axles, etc- all the same stuff from the same suppliers. A Detroit Series 60 engine, or Eaton tranny, Spicer driveline, etc in a Pete are no different than the same setups in a Freightshaker, International, etc. The difference is the Pete cab will still be snug after 700k miles, while the Frightshaker will probably have holes in it:eek:
-Weave-

G

Hey Weave, the fuel mileage that your reporting is great! I was thinking that a person might be able to buy a class 8 truck and stretch it to make a great D unit, but decided against it. I didn't think you could get that kind of mileage. What is the trick? I owned an FLD120 that we built into a triaxle dump. It was licensed to 62k and had an 11.1 60 series detroit in it. We showed mileage of around 7.5 on that truck. Does your truck have higher gears in the rear axle or something that helps the mileage?

Also, why do you have the engine turned down? Is there a reason for this? Why not just buy the 11.1 if you only want 360 h.p.?

Please don't take my questions the wrong way. I'm actually excited about your post. I'll probably start looking at the class 8's again now! You know how it is...always pessimistic. lol

cat can do

Veteran Expediter
I am sure that I cant speak for weave but his truck probly has 355 gears, and only one set of axles which lessens the rolling resistance which in turn will only help with fuel mileage. Plus the tranny and rears in a dump truck are usually geared much lower (like you said Arky) than most trucks. When you have the computer downrated it tends to lean out the engine by not giving it so much fuel. Those big Detroits and Cats love fuel and the more you give em the more power they will make. And in my humble opinion no matter what the make of the truck it will last only as long as you take care of it. A good maintance schedule will help to keep a truck around for a long time.
I think all of us would love to have a 379 Pete streched out to 330 inch wheel base with a nice tag axle and 96 inch sleeper with a shower and toilet and 22 foot box. Excuse me I am dreaming now (but it would be nice).:7 :7

G

Thanks for the input Cat. I would definitely agree with the lower gears..maybe even lower than that. I have seen some trucks wth as low as 290 gear ratios. I would like to know what ratio weave has. (It's an, "I'll take one of those" kinda things :) ) When your getting that kinda mileage out of class 8 truck, you've got something right.

I'm not so sure about the extra resistance from the second axle. I would think that the tire replacement costs would be more than the increase in the fuel bill for the tandem, plus the fact there is just more there to tear up.

I guess what intrigues me more than anything about Weave's truck is to have it turned down. I realize that by having less hp it doesn't burn as much fuel. But, my understanding of this is that the main thing that is changed on the detroits is the rpm limiter (I'm sure there is correct terminology for that:+). Why could you not just shift at a lower rpm instead of taching it out? Then you would still have the horsepower if you need it.
> I was thinking that Weave may know something we don't about this downgrade. I thought that there might be a hidden bonus in turning the hp down. I'm not sure what it would be, but I think something has sure helped him out.

It is probably just a combination of things (lowered hp, single axle, lighter loads, higher gear ratios), but what he's talking about is like %150 percent increase in fuel mileage over the triaxle truck i owned. Btw, the triaxle was an 11.1 s60. It only had 330 hp as i never had it turned up.

Thx again for the input. Anyone else? or more from Cat? Weave..u there?

cat can do

Veteran Expediter
Hey Arkey your right I bet that weave has more info for the correct answer, than what I can supply you with. Just like you said it may be that he just has the right combo of gears in the rear and in the trans. I to am intrested in what weave has to say, and I know in a short amount of time we will be reading the reply that is the most informative (weaves).:7

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Detroit has not sold the 11.1 S60 for a number of years. I don't know why it was discontinued. Only S60 is 12.7L.
I had the engine derated 110 HP through the computer. Fuel mileage went from around 7 to over 11 MPG doing so, and I did not really notice any power loss. Along with changing governed speed (1800 now vs 2200 before) the turbo also runs with less pressure being downrated. I belive my rear axle to be the 3.55 one. With the setup where I have it, the truck can still run close to 100 MPH (I do not drive much over 70 where legally allowed), it pulls hills fully loaded like a sack of feathers, and gets the great MPG. One does not need a 470 HP single axle straight truck to haul 10k lbs. Just blowing money up in smoke.
-Weave-

...Owners of Deuce Coupes might want to reference this. And bring sheet metal screws with them in case I blow their doors off.

G

lol...i like the deuce coupe bit. I was curious, after asking about 11.1, if they still made it. Well, you certainly answered my question about having the hp derated. I don't know enough about diesel engines to completely understand how that increases your mileage that much, but you did give me the answer i was looking for. I just wander if that would work on a cummins engine as well? Sounds like it probably would.

Weave, thanks alot for the feedback. I like it. :)

G

This is for "cat can do". I went back and read your replies to my questions. They may not have been word for word what Weave said about his truck, but they were REAl close. I appreciate your input also. I have also seen some other posts that back up what you said about the extra resistance from the tandem axle.

I think I probably owe you an apology. I guess I should have learned by now what grandpa used to tell me "boy, you need to do a little less broadcasting and a little more tuning in". lol

Thanks for your advice as well !