Freight Bills

pellgrn

Expert Expediter
Are there any carriers out there the will send you a copy of the bill,i am with Panther and they won't cause we have a fixed rate per mile.I thought Fedx did? I would like to see what amount the carrier is getting if any of the fuel sur charges.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I would certainly want it if I was being paid a percentage of the load. As you mentioned on milage, it wouldn't really matter too much. We essentially run on a percentage on our own booked loads and we are dealing directly with the company or broker. In those instances, we know EXACTLY the total amounts of trip and FSC.
There is alot of info on the OOIDA site with regards to this.

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Pelle, It's called a rate agreement. with us the rate agreements are forwarded with the settlement sheets. Don't make much difference tho, our folks book a lot of their own loads anyway and know whats up. If you are running by the mile, whats the difference to you???

pellgrn

Expert Expediter
I am wondering about the sur charges,we get them over the qc as rate per mile like 10 cents a mile fuel sur charge.I am told we get 100% of fuel sur charge,i am wondering if there's some documentation from the customer that can track with whats coming over the qc.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Simple solution Pelle, if whatever comes over the system ain't enough, don't run it. If it is and you accept it....... What's the problem???

pellgrn

Expert Expediter
I agree with ya col,don't do the load if it's a losser.I forsee having to make a choice,taking a fixed national avg sur or staying with whatever the customer pays.I will need info to make an informed choice if i want to go with the fixed or the variable sur charge.I was wondering if there were carriers that provided that info,not over the qc but via the freight bills.I signed a contrct saying i will work for a rate per mile not percentage of load i understand that's my choice and whatever amount the carrier makes is there business.

mhoy40

Expert Expediter
under federal fair leasing act if you ask a motor carrier for the freight bills for loads pertaining to your truck they are supposed to supply such invoices,the catch is most carries would say its a trust issue and if you pushed it they would find a way to terminate you for it.do to a lack of trust in your companie if you know what i mean. there is a spot on ooidas web site that you can view these rules and regs,along with other's like from the time of termination they only have 15 days to pay your final settlement,but have 60 days from date of return of any company property ie qaulcom and such to return any withholdings like escrow and such.all of this is there for the finding on ooidas site.
went to find it heres how to get to it:
ooida.com when main page comes up on the left side down towards the middle of the page theres a link that says regulatory documents,click on it when the next page comes up in the middle of the page towards the bottom click on dot leasing regulations these are all the regs for the fair leasing act for both them as a carrier and you or your owner as a contractor,the rule about the freight bills is in 376.12 subparagragh g. hope this helps every owner should look at these and know them so when the times come you know the rules for getting whats owed to you or why it may not be.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
my settlement sheet shows,fuel surcharge,what the customer gets charged,and what i get paid,doesnt everyones
=============================================
What your settlement sheet shows has nothing to do with the customers freight invoice. Case in point, we had a nameless carrier numerous years ago show what the customer was charged on our statement. The problem was that I knew the owner of the business and asked him for the invoice from the carrier. The carrier routed the bill through their third party. So the settlement sheet was accurate to the third party but not for the total bill. At the end of the day, we found out we got shorted 25% of the actual load. When questioned, they said it was a usual industry practice. That was the last load we hauled for them. The third party of course was operated by the carrier.
Of course none of this matters if it is a rate that you can live with. The bigger issue for us was a act of deception. If they are doing it there, where else are they doing it?

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Looking back, I would have to say you are right.

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
Same applies here about a broker has the right to ask to see billing pertaining to his loads. Most refuse and you have to force the issue. I know one fella whose significant other goes in every two or three months and does an audit (she ain't no accountant) and she usually finds fuel surcharges, improper splits, waiting time or other such that hasn't been paid. If the carrier refuses, a letter from her lawyer gets her in and no termination for it. Once the carrier knows they usually have things straightened out after her first two visits.

It isn't always the carrier trying to get away with things as such, it is usually the way things are done and the calcs are not correct, therefore the broker gets a little less. She has also found things that were wrong for the carrier and pointed it out to them. She really is quite fair to all involved. We must all remember that the total of the bill will sometimes include charges that are not part and parcel of the load itself and are not subject to the split.

They started this because of a carrier who shorted all their brokers. She started an avalanche of brokers wanting their fair share at that place (by the by that carrier no longer exists).

Rob Fis

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Good post. I think she certainly did the right. As in our case, it is amazing the bumbling that starts when you ask to do an audit of them.
Suddenly they can't find things or are too busy.
It's business. Never assume anything.
We did eventually get our due monies, but at that time it gave us a good education as to alot of the practices that go on.

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator