Big Truck Freezing water

Hamman77

Active Expediter
Driver
Just curious, how do you drivers that have running water keep the water tank from freezing in winter? Leave heat on always? Or don't have water in winter?

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
just make sure tank is not full when you park and then fill it with hot water rite before you leave. give it about 5 or 6 hours once you leave with the heat on and the cabinet door under the sink open and also the one where the pump is if they are not in the same place and all should be good. Been doing ours that way for years. I did occasionally at first use a heat gun on the metal part of the pump. just dont get to close.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
My rv had heated tank electric warmers and I had a system where the engine water system connected to a coil around the hot water tank to warm the water never had to worry about cold water for showers after driving all day and with insulation on the tank it stayed warm over night

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We have a small fan mounted under bench seat that can be turned on to help circulate the warm air from the inside of the sleeper to the water tanks and the lines. Before we had that we would set a small fan by the vents to keep the air circulated.

We also like Dynamite 1 says we keep the cupboard under sink open when in sub zero temperatures to keep lines from freezing.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
We were lazy. I installed a incandescent bulb that when on, it would keep it from dropping below the freezing level. Worked when the truck was occupied or parked. Don't use a led because they don't emit the proper heat.

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

Hamman77

Active Expediter
Driver
Thx to all who gave suggestions. Only water for sink; no shower. Have Espar heater along with Rig Master. Was thinking leave Espar on while on home time with cabinet door open. I don't drink the water, just for washing hands and dishes.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
With our big-sleeper truck, the heat was always on from the engine, generator or shore power. That kept water from freezing in the tanks and other items too; like medications, canned goods, bottled drinks, etc.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
2 winters ago my aux batteries froze up like -40 for 3-5 days....luckily T-King replaced it under warranty....was advised to leave Espar on low during cold snaps.....after all 1 gallon every 24 hrs is a cheap price to pay...also the QC won't freeze up either....