Founder of J.B. Hunt Passes away.

tec1959

Expert Expediter
Just wanted to let everyone know I heard on the news that Mr.J.B.Hunt founder of J.B.Hunt Transportation passed away this week,He was a great man I've met him several times and drove for J.B.Hunt back In the 80's...This last monday he fall while working around his house and had been In the Hospital ever since...

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Personally, I've heard he was a good man. But his son or nephew took over the biz and turned it into the puppy farm it is today. I hold no love for his company, the values of his successor, or what it's done to trucking. I can only hope the next successor will actually care about the ppl working for him/her, and work to make the industry what it once was. I feel badly that someone couldn't instill their morals in their company after death... Sam Walton comes to mind.

"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know." - Kansas

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
The loss of any life brings on sadness. But, I for one agree with Tennesseahawk. Unfortunately, the ideas and thinking of what he created in his business I don't see today with new management.

I have to wonder, would Mr Hunt have approved of his company refusing to pay a valid claim for damage to another vehicle and down time for the repairs when thier driver was clearly at fault and charged with the accident? Would Mr Hunt have allowed that driver to continue to work for his company after the driver Assaulted and Battered (me) after hitting our truck and damaging it. A police report was taken on the incident and JB Hunt's claims department notified. Sadly, we have had to hire an attorney to sue JB Hunt to get our truck repaired. So, did his greatness trickle down into the minds of those whom now run the company he founded?

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
Few companies are what their founders intended them to be . Would Sam Walton approve of what WalMart has become ? Do any old timers remember Monfort being bought out by a banking group ? Drivers got a real shock when their large car Kenworths were replaced with Chevy Asros .

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Monfort, whoa, blast from the past. Most of those Monfort drivers were crazy. They drove way too fast. I know eastern Colorado, Kansas and Nebraska are flat and wide open but it seemed they would continue to build speed the farther east they went. I guess that's why they got a lane named after them.

Bugsy Siegel

Seasoned Expediter
>Few companies are what their founders intended them to be .

Amen to that, I work at Avery currently, and from every person who's been with the company since before Stan Avery passed away: "it's gone to hell."

Back in the day, there was a waiting list to get a job here, now they have to advertise in the local papers, and the people they get are exactly what you'd expect to get walking in off the street.

Back in the day, EVERYONE was making big bucks, you worked hard, and you got paid for it. Now it's all about making the stockholders money, and screw the people in the factory, all we do is hurt the bottom line, apparently.

Mudflap

Expert Expediter
Someone once told me that Sam Walton and JB Hunt were childhood friends from Arkansas, and I have found nothing to prove or dis-prove that statement, but the timing and locations would be about right for it to make sense.

Bugsy, you are dead on about every business today. The thing is the waste is not at the BOTTOM LINE that is discussed so much, it's at the top line of the board room where the most oxygen is being wasted. Mudflap