Ford Transit question.

Nytmare897

Seasoned Expediter
The other week I saw a driver with one of those ford transit mini deals. I tried to find the important specs online. I believe the max payload capacity to be at or around 1500lbs. My real question is it just big enough to carry two skids. Most skids I haul are standard 48X48. Some are smaller. If you drive one of these and can tell me if you can fit two skids, one in front of the other...I would really appreciate it.

Also if you drive one, do you like it? Does it handle good? Thanks and drive safe! =)

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The other week I saw a driver with one of those ford transit mini deals. I tried to find the important specs online. I believe the max payload capacity to be at or around 1500lbs. My real question is it just big enough to carry two skids. Most skids I haul are standard 48X48. Some are smaller. If you drive one of these and can tell me if you can fit two skids, one in front of the other...I would really appreciate it.

Also if you drive one, do you like it? Does it handle good? Thanks and drive safe! =)

Most Carriers wouldn't Even consider leasing on 1 of the Mini-transits .....

Reactions: westmicher

Nytmare897

Seasoned Expediter
Umm..that's helpful. Becuacue A+ does and the carrier I drive for does. Thanks for answering my question.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Most Carriers wouldn't Even consider leasing on 1 of the Mini-transits .....

Umm..that's helpful. Becuacue A+ does and the carrier I drive for does. Thanks for answering my question.

Please read what i said MOST Carriers ...
You want to go ahead and Buy one ( mini-transit) go for it .. i was trying to save You money .... when a shipper asks a company to send in a Sprinter and you show up in thay Cracker box ... with No E-trac and no thought on how to stop freight from going out your windshield during an emergence stop .... sorry but good luck with that business plan ...

Reactions: westmicher

Nytmare897

Seasoned Expediter
Well thanks... I drive a Ford E250 Cargo Van! I run loads that are one skid...sometimes two skids. If I can get away with the mini, which gets way better gas mileage! Then yes sounds like a solid plan. Thanks and have a great day! ☺

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
A) since the carrier you drive for will take on a mini Transit, it would seem they have the answers you seek.

B) instead of trying to "get away" with using a particular vehicle, why not use the right to tool for the job?

Nytmare897

Seasoned Expediter
True... Still just looking for someone who drives or drove one. Wanna know how they handle and if I can get two skids into one.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You might find half a dozen companies to accept it out of how many hundred? What if you later want to go to Panther, PTL, Fedex, Tri-State, Bolt or any number of other first tier companies? You'll have a van you can't use. You'll also have half or less of the capacity in weight of a "real" expediting van and less height capacity. The British monetary phrase penny wise and pound foolish comes to mind.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I knew someone that shared a run with me that's had one...

They're amazing vehicles for what they are. I don't think they're an over the road type vehicle. He thought the same as you, fit a skid and tiny vehicle, good mileage

So..with a height of 49 and a width of 48 right there you're missing most of the "Expedite" opportunities, notice I said "Expedite" I did some courier too and the Transit Connect was too big I needed a bicycle

Length, 61 in the regular and 77 in the extended would not fit 2 skids in my world but there are tiny skid loads out there

His experience: he didn't see it but trucks would move around where he was, waiting for a "transit connect" load

All the savings went out the window when he spent half as much as he paid on the vehicle in repairs after a year and a half...i have a feeling shippers aren't completely honest with weight :eek:

Loaded meant he was getting a hotel room too

If you work for an Expedite company, the "standard" seems like a sprinter is the lowest most big shippers ask for.

Your company may have a bunch of direct customers with small loads, talk to the car guys there, a Connect is a car with a taller roof. Ford ram and sprinter all have baby versions which would take the stress of showing up and the freight being to big off a little, and trust me, your average mileage will be better (and less repairs) than a loaded Connect

Hope this helps. I was on a diesel Promaster kick again before I found out the back doors are 70" high...sprinter loads mean 74" now, at least with our customers

Last edited:

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I knew someone that shared a run with me that's had one...

They're amazing vehicles for what they are. I don't think they're an over the road type vehicle. He thought the same as you, fit a skid and tiny vehicle, good mileage

So..with a height of 49 and a width of 48 right there you're missing most of the "Expedite" opportunities, notice I said "Expedite" I did some courier too and the Transit Connect was too big I needed a bicycle

Length, 61 in the regular and 77 in the extended would not fit 2 skids in my world but there are tiny skid loads out there

His experience: he didn't see it but trucks would move around where he was, waiting for a "transit connect" load

All the savings went out the window when he spent half as much as he paid on the vehicle in repairs after a year and a half...i have a feeling shippers aren't completely honest with weight :eek:

Loaded meant he was getting a hotel room too

If you work for an Expedite company, the "standard" seems like a sprinter is the lowest most big shippers ask for.

Your company may have a bunch of direct customers with small loads, talk to the car guys there, a Connect is a car with a taller roof. Ford ram and sprinter all have baby versions which would take the stress of showing up and the freight being to big off a little, and trust me, your average mileage will be better (and less repairs) than a loaded Connect

Hope this helps. I was on a diesel Promaster kick again before I found out the back doors are 70" high...sprinter loads mean 74" now, at least with our customers
Sprinters are only 72 tall at the back door.

Sent from my SM-G925T using EO Forums mobile app

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Xiggi and I ran into a guy running a Ford Connect. He was leased to a carrier that mainly hauled railroad stuff. The connect seemed to work for him.

Reactions: xiggi

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I haven't hauled a choo-choo train load in a long time. I believe most were deliver direct, leaving the van open for sleeping like that guy we saw with the Connect. If Nytmare's carrier is cool with the mini van thing and most loads deliver direct, a Ford Connect might be a good vehicle for this operation.

When Con-Way Now started hauling GE Transportation freight they gave them a 22% discount which brought the cargo van rate down to .80/mile. I don't know what carriers charge GE these days but I'm sure it is probably less.

Reactions: xiggi

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I can only get 71" past door latch in my Transit back door. Once inside 74
When looking at the builder book, only the highest roof Transit has the 74" door opening, with an 81" interior height. This is exactly why I like bringing it up before I really need it, cause I dunno. Countless Transits are for sale here locally claiming EL, and you can clearly see from the photos they're not long enough...all the new vans, seems like the dealers are clueless too...or they're playing dumb, I had a discussion with a Sprinter owner who insisted he had the longest version...he was parked beside a long one, and couldn't tell there was an extra foot or so past that indentation at the back on it...owners can't seem to tell and they won't get down and measure

You may be saying that without removing the latch it's 71 inches WOM...my old sprinter is flush with no latch...