Ford or GMC Cargo Vans

Randy

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
New to this business. What is the better of these two? Gonna use STRETCH vans with maybe gas or diesel. Recruiter said made no diff.Any input would be helpful

cj

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
We have a Ford diesel. Good mpg and no problem with idling for long periods in cold and hot weather. However, diesel is expensive repairs. Ford garages rarely have the right part in stock in case of repairs and must order - many times downtime of 3-4 days waiting for parts. Have had numerous repeat problems with ours -running fine now (knock on wood). Our '97 has been thru 4 temp control switches before Ford decided a change in design was in order. Of course no monetary adjustments for our expenses ($400 a pop besides downtime). Twice had fuel leaks - brain box went out while still under warranty -had either 2 or 3 alternators. When the van is fine it's really fine so what can I say. Pros and cons on everything. One more thing-we wished we had dual air vents in the van. Would be easier with heat and A/C comfort while sleeping in the truckstops.

G

Randy It really doesn't seem to make much difference whether gas or diesel. Just make sure you get one long enough and heavy duty enough.I have a Ford currently for sale if you are intrested(see my ad in this web page.

G

When you take in to account the extra dollars it costs to order a diesel engine in a new vehicle from the dealer , combined with the high price of some of the repair components, I would advise getting a gas motor, in a Ford. With a gas motor, you can be assured that even a small dealer will have most of the parts on hand, and the guys in the shop will know how to do the repairs. As far as fuel mileage is concerned, today's vans are about even, either gas or diesel have their fans. I prefer Ford, but thats only my own opinion. Jim Bunting...

Randy

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Thanks all and thanks to this site for the chance to get good info on this biz. I'm really leaning away from the diesel.

randy

G

Randy, here is another thing to consider. Instead of a cargo van, which is like a bread box on wheels, why not consider a 15 passenger window van, which is going to be long enough, and for sure has the load capacity you need. They have heavy duty springs, usually 2 gas tanks, and most importantly, a nice front office, with all the stuff you have to pay extra for in a cargo van, like air, cruise, power windows, and insulation. When you take out the seats, and the seat belt assemblies, you have a great expedite van. Now I don't for a minute suggest you go out and buy a brand new 15 passenger van, but rather look for used units. These are very popular with private schools, hotels, commuter services. Most are leased vehicles, so at about 2 to 3 years they will come back to the leasing company, who sell them off. When you compare the price of a 3 year old bare bones cargo van, with a 3 year old 15 seater, which has all kinds of options that someone else has allready paid for, it becomes a no brainer to chose the 15 passenger, besides if you put dark tint on the windows, no one can see in, but you will have excellent vision on all sides, from the drivers seat. Give a look at one of these next time you are prowling the car lots, and see how you can have what you want, for less money. Cheers, Jim Bunting...

cj

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Watch out for window vans--a lot of companies specifically say no passenger vans with windows allowed. Check out the companies you may lease to before this purchase. Sorry Jim-not trying to be buttinsky but know first hand that most companies will not allow this.

G

Late Model Chevy or GMC vans have a better back door opening and no ugly over hang on extended wheelbase which you need! For me gas engine works better. the extra cost for a diesel motor isn't worth it. The 350 motor is lasting 400 to 500 thousand miles, if you take care of them. I have a carbon monoxide detector and have never had a problem sleeping with the motor running

G

You can run a diesel engine all night, so if you have a bunk in your van you do not have to worry. Whereas it is not recommended thta you do that wit a gas engine.

G

I would go with a dodge i have a 93 and all that i had to do in repairs is a transmission. it had over 600,000 miles before i put a new engine in it. it was gas and i ran it in the summer and winter. it gets 15 - 16 mpg. the 318 engine is also good ( mine has a 360) just make sure its extended