Flying J WiFi

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
About 9:00 Thursday night I purchased a Flying J 24 hour internet access card. With in five minutes I was registered, logged in and up and running. The speed of the connection couldn't compare to my highspeed cable at home, but was certainly exceptable.

The first 45 minutes of on-line time was spent checking e-mails and responding. Then I logged on to E.O. Things were going fine until about 10:30 when everything slowed down. Pages took several minutes to load. I logged off and ran scan disk. Going back on-line things seemed a little faster for the first few minutes and then slowed down.
I was disappointed with the service so I shutdown and went to bed.

In the morning I logged on and the speed was fine. Is this common with Flying J? Does their system get overloaded during peak times and bog down?

I'm glad I only plunked down $4.95 for 24 hours.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
>I was disappointed with the service so I shutdown and went to bed.

>In the morning I logged on and the speed was fine. Is this common with >Flying J? Does their system get overloaded during peak times and bog >down?

Oh, I thought I was the only one that got disgusted and went to bed. EO sometimes take 3 minutes to load and I have a static test page on a server with a wide open connection that has taken 70 seconds to load.

Flying J is one of the better ones, some T/As are better to the point I can play online games but anyway Moot the thing is for me that when the hit the peak, the equipment, not the connection, seems to be the problem and all these companies have no clue what quality of service means.

In addition to this, I hate all the service agreements, which in one way or another says that you get what you get for the amount of moeny you spend - too bad if the connection is at 1 bit per minute or 764Kb a second. Because most truckers are not informed about QoS and a lot of other issues suroundning internet connections, the accept what they get - poor connections.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Sometimes the service will bog down during the peak times drivers are logged on.

Other times its because a truck has moved between you and the antenna.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Flying J's signal tends to be rather weak, especially for those of us sitting in the car/RV lot. Nothing worse than having a marginal signal to begin with, and then have an RV or something pull between you and the building.

Most truck stop Internet connections are via satellite, which isn't as good as cable, and when 20 or 30 or 100 other people log on at the same time, the bandwidth gets divided out amongst everyone.

This is particularly true when I'm at the same Flying J as you are, and I'm downloading a movie or something. :+

I'm in Laredo, otherwise known as South Seville. Having a wonderful time, wish you were here.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My experience with the J was the same. I'm getting the same thing with my Altell card. Some towers are real good, some good enough, and some are like it is in Milton, Pa tonight. The thing just seems to sieze up, and EO is the worse. I'll bring up a second browser and other sites seem to go better.

Looney2

Seasoned Expediter
So you have to buy a internet card to get online at the J??? I baught one of those wireless USB things from flying J and I can goto some hotel parking lots and if they dont have a firewall up can get on the internet for nothing..I have never tried to use the wireless deal at any of the truckstops but from what your saying you have to buy a card in addition to the wireless deal that plugs into the USB to get on to their server?? LOONEY2

DAN

Seasoned Expediter
Flying J or TA all are the same,you need to look for wifi antena on the roof and try to be as closed as posible and you will get good reception.I have both and I am ok with the service they provide.:9 :9

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I get on J wifi so seldom now, I need to cancel my monthly sub. If I can't get a connection on my sprint card, I'll pay a daily rate from now on.

Highway... great song in your tag! 11+ mins of the best instrumental rock always seems to mellow me out. :)

-Vampire Super Slooth Trucker!!!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Looney2: No, WiFi is WiFi, and if you have WiFi that will connect at motels, the same WiFi will connect at the Flying J.