Flying J WiFi

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'd like to get some feedback on the J's WiFi. I tried it and was not very impressed. My hour was only 45 minutes, and I was kicked off about 6 times. I was also not happy with the speed. My dial-up is better. My signal was "very good". My computer is plenty powerful enough so that speed problem not on my end.

Twmaster

Expert Expediter
While I have never used the Flying J WiFi one thing to keep in mind is that every computer on that system eats up a bit of the bandwidth available. In other words if you have 50 guys downloading stuff that means you get a very small slice of the network pipe. I am sure the pipe there is not too awful big and a lot of user's will make it sluggish.

I will also say this. I had wireless in my home for a while and did not like it. On heavy downloads it would bog and choke. I went back to wired 100 Mbps connections to my laptops. Also, if you are like me and have very good fat connectivity in your home you will just about always be unhappy with a shared connection like at the FJ.

As for the dropped connections I cannot say. It should just work. You may want to upgrade to the latest drivers for your wireless card.

--
Mike N

Sterling_owner

Expert Expediter
If you have a netgear wireless card that might be your problem, I've had a similar problem with my netgear/heard of other people with the problem.

2 1999 Sterling Semis
2000 Ford F650 24ft box truck
Now hiring driver in Cleveland, Ohio area.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Not all FJ locations have access to DSL lines,making connections slower.Also where you park affects service.Driving around with your sniffer on can help find the best location.If you think FJ is bad just try the Trucknet system at Pilot,Rip Griffin, Loves etc.
The good news is that all WiFi services will get better,and better.Its only a matter of time.What needs is roaming agreements to be worked out,so one subscription will allow you to connect on most systems.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
It seems to work find for me at most locations, once I find the sweet spot so to speak, The restuarants seem to be the worse though.

The plus is the card also picks up the FREE connection to Boldstreet.com on the 401,400 service centers and Dennys Canada

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks for the info. When I was in the parking lot my signal was excellent. I went inside to buy the time and it went to very good. Maybe the difference is more than the terms would suggest. As to my card, I have whatever comes with a Presario 2500. I'll try again with the signal showing excellent and see if that helps.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I also have a heck of a time connecting on battery power for some unexplained reason..it seems to like full power mode, at least on my laptop.

aquawarrior7

Expert Expediter
Yes you do have to find a good spot. Someone recommended the smc card with the part that comes off and you can stick up to 2 antanea in it.We have ths now and I guess its my computer or something, some days it likes the old proxim card and some days it likes the smc card. Meaning it may not work at all with the other card lol.:(
My partner has it too and her laptop loves the smc with the antanae in. So it may be I just need to buy another laptop. :eek: Also in Blacksburg KY we had a horrible time no matter where we were. Went inside to talk to manager about it cause we only got on once in beginning of the day then it wouldnt after that. Manager said he thought someone was pirating the signal and keeping it all for themselves.Does this sound feasible to you tech people, I didnt know if he was just saying that. The signal would show up but it wouldnt let us access it very aggrevating to say the least.
But in other places most of hte time with a excellent signal it almost riviled the Cable internet we had once upon a time.
For the best reception you shoud try to find the flying j with the extended network. They put up xtra boosters or something on the light poles.
Hope this helps.
Also which store location did you try it at?

sevenn

Expert Expediter
Hi,

As has already been mentioned, where you park, how many users are online and what type of card you are using are among the biggest factors that can affect your connection.

Line of sight is very important. Try to park so that you have a clear view of the restaurant/travel store. The truck-stop antennae is generally mounted atop the main building. The signal can be adversely affected by anything that interferes with line of sight. This can be obstructions in your cab or a neighboring truck. It also helps to get a parking space as close as possible to the main building.

Try to get a card that has an external antennae. That can be an internal card with an antennae or one (like I use) that connects thru a USB port and has a jumper wire that allows you to position the antennae in your cab for best reception.

Bandwidth is also important. Basically this is the amount of useable computing connection divided by the number of users. The more people using the system, the slower things will go.

All of these things, together with a few others, determine the quality of your connection. I have been extremely happy with Flying J WiFi and have signed up for a year long connection. I use it every time I have the opportunity to check my Panther II owners website to verify mileage, payroll and several other functions. Keeping track of my email is also very important to me.

Enjoy and have a safe trip,

Sevenn

Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean that no one is out to get you!

tigerpaw143444

Expert Expediter
I also love the fj internet. :7 I have not tried the other net works out there. I got it for the price. You do have to work to get a good spot. Having the antina up very high in truck works the best. If u put it outside sometimes it works sometimes not.
How many here have had the TA, loves, and pilot wifi???
does it work as well?
there is one fj that never works. The one in Blacksburg SC I was so pissed off. I could get a signal then it would drop off. The manager (a nice guy) said that he was trying to get fj to do something and they would or could not.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just wanted to thank everyone for their responses and to let you know that the second time around has been much better. There must have been some kind of problem before because it's great right now. Speed is great and connection is solid. Ontario van man, I stopped at the Woodstock service center and from what I could see they give you one free shot to try it out, then you have to pay. I didn't have time to try it out. Thanks again.