Flying j vans not welcome exit 583

tolandch

Seasoned Expediter
Just ran off the property of the flying j exit 583 I 10. The manager for Denny's stated the parking area belongs to Denny s and we can only stay 2 hours. He took photos of all the vans and stated he'd call the police.

Sent from my QMV7A using EO Forums mobile app

MNMS

New Recruit
Driver
Pilot/ Flying J won't be happy to hear he's running off professional drivers. They tell Denny's what to do. Denny's is not it's own entity there. They play by Pilot/ Flying J rules. You might want to make the truck stop aware of what he's doing.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Reactions: jelliott

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just ran off the property of the flying j exit 583 I 10. The manager for Denny's stated the parking area belongs to Denny s and we can only stay 2 hours. He took photos of all the vans and stated he'd call the police.

Sent from my QMV7A using EO Forums mobile app
I wouldn't stay at that dump. Usually I'll spend the night at the TA across the freeway.

Reactions: ntimevan

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Pilot/ Flying J won't be happy to hear he's running off professional drivers. They tell Denny's what to do. Denny's is not it's own entity there. They play by Pilot/ Flying J rules. You might want to make the truck stop aware of what he's doing.
That's exactly right. PFJ owns the entire property there. Denny's leases the restaurant space (Clean Energy rents the natural gas space out back). When he said he was going to call the police, I'd have said, "That's fine. And while you're doing that, I'll call PFJ in Knoxville, you know, the actual owner of the property, and see what they have to say. Then I'll call Dawn Lafreeda, the actual owner of this Denny's, and see what all she has to say about it."

As someone who used to be a district manager with Denny's Corporate, I can assure you that Denny's has absolutely zero control over any of the parking spaces in the lot. The only places that Denny's has control over the parking lot are the locations where they are standlaone and on their own property. At places like truck stops, hotels, any place where the restaurant is attached to another building, the main business has guardianship of the parking lot and the Denny's rents the restaurant space.

Having said that, you don't want to park in front of the restaurant. That's just rude.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That's ridiculous, I'd like to hear the outcome and did you get the persons name who was making threats? Seems like corporate needs to give a call down to that location and send some $12 a hour employees home.

Reactions: RoadTime and Turtle

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Before the Pilot and Flying J merger, and well before Denny's started replacing the restaurants at the J, I was kicked out of the parking lot in a J in Salt Lake City by the restaurant manager. This was after eating breakfast and lunch there in the restaurant, and a half hour after dropping $200 on an inverter. "This is for customers only." I showed him the receipts. "Let me put it this way, YOU can't park here. YOU have to leave."

Well alrighty then. So I left, and immediately drove the 4 or 5 miles up to Flying J's corporate offices and registered my complaint in person. After showing them the receipts and telling my sad tale of how the Flying J is my second home since I'm on the road all the time and it's the only place I know where it's safe and the people are always friendly (OK, I may have fudged that a little bit), and how big trucks can park there but I'm discriminated against simply because I'm a cargo van expediter, they picked up the phone and spoke to the manager of the restaurant and told him in no uncertain terms that I am allowed to park there as long as I want. They then gave me a $250 Visa debit card, which I thought was very nice of them to do, and I went back to that J, parked, and no one bothered me at all. When I ate dinner there, the manager avoided me like the plague. The little turd.

Sadly, that Flying J was sold off to Maverick during the merger with Pilot. Flying J Management has since acquired the Maverick chain, so they own it again.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I should add that there are a few locations, mainly Pilots, I think, where there are McDonalds (mainly, but there are others) where Pilot doesn't own or operate the restaurant. In a few cases the restaurant owns the entire property, or part of it. One that comes to mind is the Pilot in Summerville, SC (just NW of Charleston) where the large parking lot is actually owned and controlled by the McDonalds. They will flat kick you out of there if you're not parked over in one of the 6 or 7 spaces in the corner in front of the convenience store. I usually just go to the Walmart on the other side of the Interstate.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I should add that there are a few locations, mainly Pilots, I think, where there are McDonalds (mainly, but there are others) where Pilot doesn't own or operate the restaurant. In a few cases the restaurant owns the entire property, or part of it. One that comes to mind is the Pilot in Summerville, SC (just NW of Charleston) where the large parking lot is actually owned and controlled by the McDonalds. They will flat kick you out of there if you're not parked over in one of the 6 or 7 spaces in the corner in front of the convenience store. I usually just go to the Walmart on the other side of the Interstate.
If I'm over that way I usually stay at the J in St. George.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
over and over I see vans parking directly in front of restaurant or even store.....They are either really lazy or trying to pick up the free wifi.....either way this is wrong IMO.....just asking to be asked to move...

Reactions: Perioodic

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

Professional drivers?.....LMAO

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Professional short order cook......Fry cooker at MacD's....
Professional Host service............Greeter at Walmart
Professional Cargo van steering wheel holder.......

I suppose tho doing anything for a living ranks one as a professional...

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Depends on how long I plan to stay, use the bathroom and grab a coffee I park up front by the doors, need a nap I park out in the lot as far away as I can get.

Undisputed King of Short Runs

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Depends on how long I plan to stay, use the bathroom and grab a coffee I park up front by the doors, need a nap I park out in the lot as far away as I can get.

Undisputed King of Short Runs
same here....and If I just pull in and plan a shower and I am leaving to go home to Walmart, I park out front shower and leave....

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
If my business is with the convenience store, I'll park right up front like any other customer, get in and get out, same as I would any other convenience store. If I'm going to grab a shower, or park for an extended period, I'll park well away from the store (or restaurant), as a courtesy to other customers.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Professional drivers?.....LMAO
9cbe4b8c64695e40001f3ff35afe5944.jpg