Flying J Towing Scam

atxniceguy

Seasoned Expediter
So far, 21 truckers saw their tractor trailer towed from the Flying J located at 15919 North Freeway, Spring, Texas without their consent. :mad:

What we do know, is that one owner operator has taken the towing company, Millstead Automotive Ltd and Flying J to court and the Judge ruled his tow, as the 20 others were wrongfully towed, because of the parking facility of Flying J failed to notify the drivers their trucks would be towed. :D

Each owner or operator of a truck that was towed from this Flying J should file an online complaint with the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation and file a theft report with the Harris County Sheriff's Department (713-221-6000).

This is a prime example of a parking facility and a towing company engaging in organized criminal activity. One truck is bad enough, but 21 tractor trailers at $1500 a pop, being taken from a parking lot without the requirement signage being posted.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
What signs were missing? Maybe it is a new system to help the "J" out of bankruptcy? Layoutshooter

chetjester

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The FJ you are referring to is the closest to Houston and busier than most FJ's. I've been there early in the afternoon and have been unable to find a parking space.

Flying J does not tow trucks if they are in a designated parking space. If they are parked in Fire Lanes or tow-away zones, then they have every right to tow them.

And where were the drivers of those 21 trucks towed? FJ is a truck stop, not a place to park your truck while you go home for the weekend.

What are the real facts about the towing situation?

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
There's a sign in front of the Flying J at Oak Creek, WI that says "12 hour parking limit". It's as you enter the truck side by the fuel islands

atxniceguy

Seasoned Expediter
Listen up men, in Texas, a parking facility is required to have these red and white towing signs posted on the right or left side, at every entry/exit from a public roadway, no farther than 25' from the roadway, and if the width of the driveway is greater than 35', two signs are required.

The General Manager at this Flying J testified in Court yesterday, that she already had 21 trucks towed with no signs or warning of being towed, and the Judge told her, she is subject to being jailed.

The owner of one of the trucks towed, being the one that sued in this matter, was taking a shower at Flying J when his truck was towed.

So, just a reminder, if you park anywhere in Texas, there has to be towing signs posted.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yes, the signs do exist. I saw them in the lot of a strip center (small building with several different businesses, none of them adult oriented) I passed last night.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I a not questioning the signs or them being required, all i asked for was a link to the story, that is nothing more then should have been provided in the 1st post when you are relaying info from ANY news scource, its all about attribution. some boards won't let you post news without them....so the links?

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
why is it the 95% of the time you ask for a news paper acticle you don't get one and hen it found out the insedent never happened or was not even close to that the print story says?

Hyperdrive

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
We are sitting at the Flying J you refer to on the north side of Houston on I 45. We have been here since Tuesday night and it looks as though we Will be here over the weekend.

If I had any say in the management of this stop I could have had twice that number towed in the short time we have been here. Grown men and women with Professional Licenses who park in areas clearly marked as no parking, in areas marked car and RV,s and in driveways.
From where I am sitting those rigs were towed with the owners KNOWLEDGE they were parked in an area they should not have been in and thought they could get away with it. They were making if hard on all of the people who wanted to use the facilities and follow the rules. Way to go Flying J.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Now if we could only get the troopers start to ticket the idiots that park on the car side of a rest area!!

moose

Veteran Expediter
Now if we could only get the troopers start to ticket the idiots that park on the car side of a rest area!!

obviously you never have a parking problem ...
or you will understand that the solution is to built more parking spaces ,rather then ticket the poor drivers that just don't have no where else to park...
try to imagine a world where the only place you can stop your van is in a motorcycle designated parking lot ...
nothing personal He'y ?,just a point made

Moose.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
obviously you never have a parking problem ...
or you will understand that the solution is to built more parking spaces ,rather then ticket the poor drivers that just don't have no where else to park...
try to imagine a world where the only place you can stop your van is in a motorcycle designated parking lot ...
nothing personal He'y ?,just a point made

Moose.

Moose i do surely understand.....BUT it is not right...the state doesn't owe any truck a parking spot and it is not thier responsibility to provide one....Everyone in here bemoans that they are an independant business operator....so why "depend" on the state to provide parking?

The little bit a parking provided is a courteousy, nothing more...Most rest areas have signage of " no overnight parking" and some have 4-6 hour time limits....

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Again, you say that while driving a van. We are expected to follow both state and federal laws. If there aren't enough parking spaces, then we have to compromise. If doing so violates state laws, then not doing so violates federal laws, and creates a potential safety hazard. What would YOU suggest?

moose

Veteran Expediter
They are not "Choosing" to park there ,
the are "forced" to park ,
big different .
it is not the rig driver responsibility to provide parking spaces ,
truck parking is one of the biggest daily problems for most's truckers .
for no rezone ,no rezone at all .
i just wonder ,what is your solution for truck parking ?
(just dont tell me you are expecting the trucker to pay for it...)

Moose.
KCC.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Why not have the trucker pay for a parking spot? It's a user pay world? Is it not? Why should the taxpayers foot the bill for the cost of upkeep at rest areas?

broker

Seasoned Expediter
Might as well give my 2 cents, as a long time trucker "O/O, T/T"returning after a few years off.
This is not to offend anyone but what the heck are there handicap parking spaces for semi trucks at some of the truck stops for? When I first saw one I had to take second look. Excuse me but if a person driving a 53 Ft. trailer, with 80,000 going down the road, he/she better be healthy enough and able to walk into a truck stop.
If I were a four wheel driver and saw this, I would be asking the same question.
Is this just another way of the government getting involved with something they don't even think about?
I have parked in lots while trucks had to leave because of a full lot, yet those two handicap spots (in the front) remained empty.
At other stops, trucks park there anyway.
Has anyone ever seen a handicap sign of any kind on an 18 wheeler?
I know I can ask the truck stop, I just forgot about it until now.
Big John

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Yes, I've seen them with a handicap tag. More often than not, the ones getting out of the truck were two sizes too big for the buffet.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Keep in mind at some T/S's they have RV'ers back there and they might be handicapped....and also there are some truckers that have prothesis limbs that could park there....because a handicap isn't visible doesn't mean they aren't driving.