Flying J Fuel

TheGoodGuy

Expert Expediter
Just a comment on the quaility of fuel that we are getting at the Flying J.

We have a Sprinter, and when we fuel up at most Flying J's especially Georgia, our Sprinter appears to lose power. Most noticeably it downshifts frequently on minor grades whether empty or loaded. When we fuel at the J, I know now, that I will have to add a Cetane boost to the tank.

We generaly have no problems with Sunnoco, Citgo,or Shell.

Was wondering if any other Sprinter owners are having similar problems. Thanks.....

God Bless America

dieselphreak2K

Expert Expediter
i'm not in a sprinter, but I've found the fuel at the J to be top notch. I've gotten crappy fuel from a few TAs and a Wilco or two.

MDB1

Expert Expediter
I have a 2004 Sprinter. I refuel at Flying J all the time because I have a frequent fueler card and I can get free showers. I have never had a problem with Flying J fuel.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
I have noticed only a slight and I mean slight difference in a lower quality of Flying J fuel. I have heard others complaine but I have no complaints other than how HOT the fuel was last summer and it was very hot comming out of the tanks.

Now for WILCO, I have only one thing to say, I will ALWAYS, I mean ALWAYS use them over any other brand. I truley always get an average of almost 1 more mile per gallon. They also have a card program for us drivers. Generaly speaking the cashiers are more knowlegable and friendlier than Js or Pilots, and showers can be carried over to another location. Negs. all locations except Toms Brook, VA. have only fast food, but all stations seem to be located in good locations of walking distance to a sit down restaurant.

I for one favor Wilco over any other brand, plus if you can get approved for one of there Visa Cards, it is 5% off of any purchase including fuel. Thats a giant savings at $3.00 a gallon or close to it. Last two fill ups have been at Wilco, $500 or more in fuel.

The Gibster

Expert Expediter
I wonder if the fuel in the area you're talking about just isn't as refined as at other locations. I've only seen cetane ratings on a few pumps, how do we know we're not paying a nickle more a gallon (let's say) for fuel that is a lower cetane?

When I used to fill my E350 Extended Ford Van with gas I hunted the lowest cost fuel I could find. At one station the price was less than everyone in the area, but the 'regular' was 2 octane points lower than typical!

Not all fuel is refined the same, and the station sells what they get from the refinery. Cetane numbers are not regularly posted, and we too notice drops in performance after some refuelings, even with PowerSource additives.

I don't think any of us really know the quality of the diesel fuel we're getting.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
i own a couple 80's mb diesels and my friend has a couple more mb diesel sedans. his wife has a recent vintage ps dually. he swears that the fuel at the j is the freshest buyable in this(se wisc)area. i don't know tho as the 40 cetane in the car makes it sound really noisy. when i have used the bp premium(i know, there goes the fsc bogey) my car runs much better. it is about the same price as buying 40c and adding a few ounces of power service. i imagine that the difference on 15 gal is less than on 100 so.....roadready in illinois has 45c fuel on thorndale in bensenville near o'hare. they have another facility on the sout'side of chicaga also.

sounds like the usld will do the same thing i have been doing with homebrew biodiesel. anyone been thru minn. and fueled up? notice any difference?

bernieh48

Veteran Expediter
We have a m2 112 and all we ever use is Flying J fuel. We find we tend to get better fuel mileage with it.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
i was just reading over at truckdoctor.com in one of the colums that a class 8 with a midrange engine should get 10-14 mpg.

is this claim legit?

what is a mid range engine hp/torque spec?

he was using cummins as the std bearer.

Jack Berry

greg334

Veteran Expediter
>i was just reading over at truckdoctor.com in one of the
>colums that a class 8 with a midrange engine should get
>10-14 mpg.
>
>is this claim legit?
>
>what is a mid range engine hp/torque spec?
>
>he was using cummins as the std bearer.

Hey Jack,

can you post the URL of the article? I keep running into a 404 error on a german website (404 meaning not found)

thanks

TheGoodGuy

Expert Expediter
Thanks Gents for all your reply's. The main reason I fuel at the J,is its the only T/S where we can get shower credits for a minimal fuel purchase. 1/2 credit for 20 gallons.

Thanks for the tip on Wilco, we'll have to give them a try.

We agree that it is impossible to ascertain the Cetane rating on any of the diesel fuels that we purchase. We will just continue to add a cetane boost when we need it.

Thanks Again..

God Bless America

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
i thought the std cetane was 40. the lowest for diesel in the world. hence the clatter from my old benzs.

Jack Berry

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Yes, that is a Chase card offered thru Hess. You get discounts at Wilco-Hess, but can use it anywhere. I try to split up fuel between Comdata and that card, and it works out well enough that I almost never use my normal debit card anymore. If you get behind one month and can't pay the entire bill, you can pay a lesser amount and the finance charge is minimal...

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I would consider a class 8 truck to have at least a C11, ISM, etc. Those are big bores 11-13L engines. They will get 10-14 mpg, but you add at least 700 lbs. to the nose. A mid-range would be an ISC-ISL or C9, MBE900, etc. and most posts I see run from 8.5 to 10 tops if a balanced gearing is used. Too tall (3.70) and you are downshifting too much and burning fuel. With 4.10, .74 OD, & a ISC 315, I get 8.5-9.5 tops, if not idling... If at wearout on the drives I went to tall rubber (11R/22.5) I could cut revs by 50 at 65, and probably save more fuel with no loss of power... all the Jeff Jones KW600's were geared at 3.90 with super 10's (history now), and low pros, and did at least as well as mine, maybe better...